wiring diagrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring diagrams

I have been scanning the net for some wiring diagrams of the Charvel model 6, because I think mine really needs a rewiring (read: I am not pleased with the current functions). does anyone knows where I can find them (or just one [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) or send one to mee?

harrald

Re: wiring diagrams

well, I guess you know the current wiring of the model 6?

what I want to do is this:
    1. change the pickups to a DiMarzio evolution in the bridge, a Seymour Duncan Hotrails in neck position and the midpickup wil be changed in time by a lil' 59, but I let the middle PU for a while
    2. make the total circuit passive, so I will get rid of the midbooster. that means that the back pot will get another use. I want that to be volume of the bridge pu.
    3. the middle pot has to be the tone of all pickups
    4. the front one will be the vulume for both the middle and neck pu.

now the more tricky part is this: there are 3 toggleswitches:
    1. the front one has to be able to switch from neck to bridge PU, because I will use those most
    2. the middle switch has (when switched on) to be the middle PU and has to switch of both the neck
    and the bridge PU. I am going to use the middle pu for clean sounds only, so when switched on,
    it has to be only the middle pu. when swiched off, it has to be either the neck or bridge, dependent on the front switch
    3. the last one does not matter, maybe switch the entire bunch off, which might be usefull when I
    don't have to play.

This is pretty hard I guess. I know I have to change the back pot to a 500K one (or not?)

if you can help me newc, I would be really great!

harrald

[ July 03, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: guitar geek ]

Comment

Actually, I'm not familiar with the Model 6's wiring, but from your description, it sounds very simple (three on/off mini-toggles and the Jackson boost thingy).
      First, yes, you will need to replace all the pots - 500K for the Volumes and 250K for the Tone (unless you want 500K for the Tone as well).
      You will also need to replace the On/Off switches with On/Off/On or On/On switches.
      If I recall correctly, On/Off switches cannot be converted to On/On, as there are only two prongs, and the Off goes to the Ground, and there's no way around that. You can get replacement switches from www.stewmac.com or Radio Shack. I'd go with StewMac personally because Radio Shack has all the different voltage ratings and I'm not "up" on all that - wouldn't wanna end up with a tone-sucking switch, or one that is too weak and isn't RF shielded.
      You can also get a pack of Jumper leads (thin wires with Alligator clips on them) to test your connections before soldering.

Ok, so after you've removed the old stuff and put in the new pickups and switches and knobs, solder the bridge pickup to the outside prong of one switch, and the neck pickup to the other side of the same switch, and solder the middle pickup to one side of the second switch. Wheter you use an On/On or On/Off/On switch, there should be 3 lugs - left, middle, right. The middle is the Ground. Solder them together. Using an On/On means there is no dead time when switching like with an On/Off/On.
      Now, jump the outside prongs of the first switch to the unused prong of the middle pickup's switch. I'd use an On/Off switch for this one, unless you want the option later of splitting the middle pickup, in which case, stick with an On/On.
      So assuming you put On/On in it, jump the ground to the prong that the bridge and middle pickups are going to. This will cause them to turn off when you turn on the middle.

Since I don't have a wiring setup like that to verify the connections, I'll leave it up to you to correct it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      But that should get you started [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Almost forgot the knobs:
      Run the pickups to the knobs from the switches(bridge prong to rear knob, neck prong and middle pickup prong to the front knob, then those knobs to the Tone, then out). This will look like a jumbled mess of wires, as you'll have the pickup leads going to the switches, the switches running to each other, and the switches running to the knobs. BUT, it'll do what you want.

Newc

[ July 03, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

damn.... since I am a real electronics layman, it still sounds awful hard to me :s. I am going to follow the lead you gave, but I think I am going to have some questions when doing it. I think I am going to draw it first, otherwise I will really get stuck in a plate of spagettiwires [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

harrald

Comment

Just remember to take it slow. Solder your pickups to each switch first (Primary connections that will not change) as well as the grounds. Leave the knobs out of it till last.

Actually I think I made a boo-boo; If the Bridge and Neck leads are running to the unused prong for the middle pickup's switch along with a ground, then they'll cut off when the middle pickup is off (because of the ground), but you can't run a ground to the other prong either as it will cut off the middle pickup.

Hmmmm. I really need to get me a guitar with 3 mini toggles [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, the rest of it should be correct, but being that's the main function you wanted....and sadly it's not covered in the Jackson book.
          Lemme think.....

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

FYI

the mini switches in my Model 4 were on/on (3 prong) so the 6 should be the same.

Comment

Oops again: The center tab of the switches is not the ground, but the lead that goes to the output.

Hmmm. Not very useful in this, am I? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

[ July 03, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

I got a Jackson electronics book, but not onnline. What wiring scheme do you have now and what do you want it to do?

Newc

Comment

Ok, I *think* I got it this time:

You will use all three switches.

Newc

[ July 04, 2003, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]

Comment

Thanks NEWC, I needed that info as well, my M6 has been gutted again and I forgot what it looked like. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Although on my Model 6, there is a common black wire running across every mini switch.

I'm very, very good at taking things apart.. its the putting back together that gets me everytime. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ July 04, 2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

Black? Hmmm. Does it go to the system ground or to a prong on the knob?
                      It's been a while since I wired 3 toggles, so my memory's a bit fuzzy. With each pickup's ground running to the pot/system ground, I don't really know for sure if the switches should be grounded, since they would share the pickup's ground simply by being connected to the pickups (though I could be mistooken).

Newc

Comment

wow, great, that looks just like what I need! thanx newc! but eh.... where is the grounding and which wire goes to the jack (really, I am a noob in electronics)

edit: I think I figured the jack out.... I guess these go from the volume pots to the jack, right?

Harrald

[ July 04, 2003, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: guitar geek ]

Comment

The Volumes will join at the Tone, which goes to the output.
                          The switches should be grounded by the pickup grounds simply by being connected to the pickup leads, as a three-prong switch only has Position 1, Output, and Position 2.

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by 2Loud2Old:

Although on my Model 6, there is a common black wire running across every mini switch.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, this is correct. That black wire going across all 3 switches is for the ground to the back of the pots.

Dave->
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                            X