Soloist...Dinky...Fusion...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist...Dinky...Fusion...???

OK, I am sick of feeling stupid so I'm going to throw my stupid question on the table to be informed.

What's the difference between the Soloist, Dinky and Fusion? As far as I can tell, Soloists are all neck through, and all Dinkys (Dinkies?) are bolt-on. Is that correct?

What else are the differences, and how do you spot what which are which in not-so-good photos?
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

The fundementals are:

Soloist = neck thru
    Dinky = Bolt-on
    Fusion = Bolt-on with 25" scale (between a LP and a strat)

There have been various models of each, plus all the custom orders.

Older DK1s were h/s/s with 22 frets, newer are h/h with 24.
    The vast majority of soloists have 24 frets, but there are some 22 frets out there.
    Fusions have 24 frets, and I think they pretty much always have a 'scalloped' lower horn, and usually have some sort of mini switch between the pots. But of course, there are exceptions.

For 'production spec' guitars, there is no pattern to determine which is which regarding binding, fingerboard wood, inlays or whatever. Soloist students had rosewood with dots as did a lot of 'standard' dinkys back in the early Ontario days. Soloist customs were ebony with sharkfins, as are DK1s and current USA production soloists.
    Last edited by neilli; 09-03-2010, 02:09 AM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I could've sworn the Fusions were 24.75" scale?

Comment

They do, I think its just a type-O on his part. Fusions with trans finishs "PRO" fusion do not have the scalloped bottom horn. and some dinkys have the scalloped horn also, sound confusing?
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

So in other words, it's hard--if not impossible--to have a clear-cut easy way to ID from a simple picture? (Like the shrunk down crappy pictures on CL ads, for example.)
          The exception being "if it's NOT a bolt-on neck, it's a Soloist."

Also, is a Dinky called a "Dinky" due to a shortened scale or something similar to that?
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
            So in other words, it's hard--if not impossible--to have a clear-cut easy way to ID from a simple picture? (Like the shrunk down crappy pictures on CL ads, for example.)
            The exception being "if it's NOT a bolt-on neck, it's a Soloist."
            It may be hard, depending on the model and pic quality.

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
            Also, is a Dinky called a "Dinky" due to a shortened scale or something similar to that?
            'Dinky' is short for 'Dinky Strat'; the body shape is a downsized (roughly 7/8), streamlined strat body.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              I could've sworn the Fusions were 24.75" scale?
              Yep. It's a "fusion" between a Strat body and a Les Paul neck scale.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. So I was pretty much right... (Are you proud of me? I researched BEFORE asking my stupid question!)
                I see a lot of "Strat shaped" guitars on CL that just say "Jackson guitar" and they have no idea what it is.
                I have also seen several guitars listed as a "Dinky" that turned out not to be.
                One turned out to be an SLSMG for $300, but I missed out on it because it took me too long to figure out what it was.
                That's why I am asking, so I can get better at IDing what I am looking at quickly.

Comment

Surely the Stealth should be an honorable mention here while we r talking strat shape Jacksons??
                  I dont get scared but i do get shocked!!

Comment

Indeed!

There are also the SDK (Super Dinky) and SS (Short Scale) body shapes that fall into roughly the same category.

Comment

Working...
                    X