I have a new design for V guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a new design for V guitars

I have thought of an idea that could very well improve all V guitars. I own a y2kv and while playing the Dweller in the Cellar solo by Jason Becker there is a sweeping arpeggio run across the 19-22 frets. I always have to slow down when I get to this part because I have to bend my hand in an uncomfortable way to be able to reach that high on the frets.

I have taken a pic of a kv2 from the gallery here at jcfonline and marked in red the area of the body of the guitar that could be cut off. With this piece of the body missing it would be extremely easy to access the higher frets. Is this design feasable? I have concerns that the neck wouldnt have enough support with this part of the body missing. Copy and paste the url ive posted for a pic.

http://deepwaterknight.tripod.com/test.jpg

edit: for those wanting to know, this is the arpeggio that I have to re-adjust and bend my hand in an odd manner in order to be able to play

|--20--------------------------------|
    |------20----------------------------|
    |----------21------------------------|
    |--------------22--------------------|
    |------------------22---19-----------|
    |------------------------------------|

[ July 03, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Rusting In Peace ]

Re: I have a new design for V guitars

I think that guy Kai Hansen has something like that on his ESP Rhoads ripoff.

Comment

IIRC, there's something like that on Alexi Laiho's ESP's as well. I don't understand why, even my tiny-ass hands can reach all the frets without a problem. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

See Charvel750's Carvin Ultra V - the 24th fret is at the end of the body where it should be, not in the body.
        If Jackson would adopt this design, the world will indeed be perfekt.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ah...........never mind! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The only problem with that mod, is that it would ruin the beautiful lines of the KV/Y2KV/Rhoads guitars. I've been having another idea though: How about bevelling the back of the guitar in that area, to make it much thinner? It wouldn't give the same amount of accessibility, but at least the guitar wouldn't look like an ESP.

I do have a bit of a problem accessing the high frets, but I get around it by unhooking the thumb from the neck. You loose a bit of stability, but you can go as far up the strings as you want.

'bane

Comment

See Charvel750's Carvin Ultra V - the 24th fret is at the end of the body where it should be, not in the body.
              If Jackson would adopt this design, the world will indeed be perfekt.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Totally agree

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
                It wouldn't give the same amount of accessibility, but at least the guitar wouldn't look like an ESP.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heyyyy lets keep things straight here.
                ESP looks like Jackson, not vice versa [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Do you guys think my idea would work for a custom kv2? Im not sure that the neck would have enough support with that part of the body missing.

Comment

A neck-through body doesn't really need support from the body wings, since there's no neck joint. It shouldn't matter, and as Newc and Irfaan noted, the Carvin Ultra V has the right design for full 24-fret access.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamo:
                      Heyyyy lets keep things straight here.
                      ESP looks like Jackson, not vice versa [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well of course, but my point was that ESP (and Ibanez for that matter) have used that sort of cutout for their Rhoads clones, while Jackson never did (to the best of my knowledge).

And personally, I think those cutouts make the guitars look ugly. =P But that's just me.

'bane

Comment

Working...
                      X