Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What years/models had the "foto-flame" tops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What years/models had the "foto-flame" tops?

Ummm.. yeah... read that ^^..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

If we're talking Jacksons, I know my 96 DX1 is a photo top. Stunning top too.

Comment

All '95-'97 bolt-on import models with a figured top were photoflame IIRC.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

OK. Rich - Does it have the "moving shimmer" at different angles like a real flame top? And how did Jackson do it... Chemical etch - thin film over cap - ink or dye print then dye??

Comment

I'm not even sure that's a maple cap. It's a film. thin as paper. I know because part of it chip off when I was changing a pickup and I glued it back.

Comment

The foto flame strat that I had did not move like real maple - FYI
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

There's no depth to it. You can't fake that. Thesse do look nicer than the veneers do though.

Comment

Does it say it on the guitar anywhere? I think the older MIJ strats had it on the headstock. And yeah, If the ones I've seen that I think had it were foto-flame, they do look nice..

Comment

I saw somewhere about how Gibson was using a kind of laser etching gadget to essentially burn in the flame maple top on their sunburst Les Pauls. Could it be possible that Jackson did the same thing at one point?

Comment

[?QUOTE]
                    Does it say it on the guitar anywhere? I think the older MIJ strats had it on the headstock. And yeah, If the ones I've seen that I think had it were foto-flame, they do look nice..

[/QUOTE]Only a few models had it on the headstock. the 96?? DX2 was HSH with dot inlays and quilt headstock.

Comment

I saw somewhere about how Gibson was using a kind of laser etching gadget to essentially burn in the flame maple top on their sunburst Les Pauls. Could it be possible that Jackson did the same thing at one point?
                      It's all in the photo top. even the color differences that simulate the pattern is in the photo.

Comment

In the catalogs, these were called "gravure" tops.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X