Whataya do when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vector View Post
    Yeah, if one is ill-equipped to handle a floyd, it's best to leave it be...
    Hmm... is there an underlying notion here?

I set up my floyds... I just don't use them. I can probably count on two hands the # of times my SL2H-MAH has had it's bar attached.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
      Hmm... is there an underlying notion here?

I set up my floyds... I just don't use them. I can probably count on two hands the # of times my SL2H-MAH has had it's bar attached.

MMmmmmmaybe. Two hands? I could count on one hand the times I've even looked at a guitar if it didn't have a Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        Bingo! There have also been quite a few instances where the jack has been incorrectly installed in such a way that you can't even plug into it, but the electronics are checked off on the hang tag....it proved that at least that part of the QC inspection was not being done. In the case of the PC1s, iirc, some of them also had defective sustainers which would (hopefully) have been caught if an inspection had actually been done.
        Just wondering if they test them with meters, rather than actually plugging them in?
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

aren't they supposed to be tuned when they leave the factory?
          this would be so much easier if they plugged them into a tuner...
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

You sure it doesn't have way too much relief in the neck or something?

Comment

RobRR- did you have any of your Floyd rout problems fixed locally? Anyone you could recommend? I'm 45 minutes west/southwest of Philly and don't mind driving an hour or so...
              Where are you exactly? There may be some guys around here that could help you.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                You sure it doesn't have way too much relief in the neck or something?
                Absolutely sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                  Where are you exactly? There may be some guys around here that could help you.
                  I'm near Philly. About 45 minutes west/south west of Philly.

I got some good news today; the guy that sold it to me is being an upstanding citizen about it and has offered to either refund my full purchase price or get Jackson to fix it (it IS a manufacturing screw up no doubt!) or pay to have a local luthier do the work.

Naturally, I 'd prefer it fixed. Too damned cool looking to get rid of...

Comment

What year was the Rhoads made? Just curious if this problem it centered to a specific time period...like, for instance, the 2 weeks vacation that the QC manager took at Jackson!
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I had a issue with my CS Charvel, the trem cavity wasn't routed out properly on the bottom side of the guitar (high e string side) So it was rubbing against and sticking. Thus when you put any pressure on the Floyd's base while playing it would go out of tune slightly and you'd have to pull it back up into place. I considered sending it back to be fixed but I really don't use my trems and was planning on putting in a Tremo-no and Dtuna in it anyways. So I let it go, but yeah it's a issue that should have been noticed at the factory.

Comment

I'm near Philly. About 45 minutes west/south west of Philly.

I got some good news today; the guy that sold it to me is being an upstanding citizen about it and has offered to either refund my full purchase price or get Jackson to fix it (it IS a manufacturing screw up no doubt!) or pay to have a local luthier do the work.

Naturally, I 'd prefer it fixed. Too damned cool looking to get rid of...
                        Sweet, good to know that not there's still nice people out there, hope it goes well for you. ^_^
                        Gear

Jackson DXMG
                        Jackson JS30RR
                        Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                        Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                        Blackstar HT5H
                        Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                        Marshall JCM 800 2203
                        Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Mazz View Post
                          Sweet, good to know that not there's still nice people out there, hope it goes well for you. ^_^
                          Quite right. I've dealt with some less-than-nice characters when buying, selling and shipping guitars in recent years. The guy that sold me the RR1 is a good man. And hopefully within a few weeks, I'll have a fully repaired, fully-functioning shred machine in my arsenal...

Comment

Hey Vector could you post some pics of where the neck binding meets the body?
                            If the neck angle is wrong then you'll see some of the neck binding clip off where the binding meets the body.
                            Since the neck angle is off the floyd would have to be deeper to achieve low action.

I had the EXACT SAME issue you did. I thought the route was too shallow but it was actually the neck angle was inverted by like a degree or so.

Anyways, I left the floyd sitting in the cavity and the action was super low, it also sounded alot better to me with the floyd resting on the route.

But anyways, I realized low action sacrifices tone(seriously). I set my action moderately high and it doesnt take away from me shredding one bit. Plus it sounds really damn great and makes the guitar easier to play.FYI Yngwie plays with high action too and that guy is only built to shred.

You're getting it fixed so the problem is solved, but Im still curious about where the action is right now

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
                              Hey Vector could you post some pics of where the neck binding meets the body?
                              If the neck angle is wrong then you'll see some of the neck binding clip off where the binding meets the body.
                              Since the neck angle is off the floyd would have to be deeper to achieve low action.

I had the EXACT SAME issue you did. I thought the route was too shallow but it was actually the neck angle was inverted by like a degree or so.

Anyways, I left the floyd sitting in the cavity and the action was super low, it also sounded alot better to me with the floyd resting on the route.

But anyways, I realized low action sacrifices tone(seriously). I set my action moderately high and it doesnt take away from me shredding one bit. Plus it sounds really damn great and makes the guitar easier to play.FYI Yngwie plays with high action too and that guy is only built to shred.

You're getting it fixed so the problem is solved, but Im still curious about where the action is right now
                              I'll snap some pics. I appreciate your input but there's one major problem- I'm an absolute Floyd junkie. Gotta be able to manipulate the bar and that can't happen when the trem base plate is sitting tightly against the bottom of the cavity rout and the post recepticals. It's a principle issue- for the cash I dropped on this, I expect it to work as designed. It doesn't so, I'm gonna have Jackson (or a Jackson authorized repair center ) fix it. I'm not fucking around with any otherwise well-intended suggestions that offer up unacceptable alternatives. Hopefully, Jackson and FMIC are taking note of this along with the other issues expressed in this forum and will do something to correct it. Not gonna hold my breath, though.

Comment

Here's some pics: there MIGHT be a super tiny amount of the binding cut off at the point where the neck meets the body. Hard to tell. Problem is, if it's an issue with the neck being at a faulty angle, Jackson will be replacing the whole ax. There's no easy fix for an improperly set neck.

Comment

Working...
                                X