No announcement yet.

Whataya do when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't a set neck unfortunately, because that would be much easier to repair. Your guitar is a neck through. Do not be confused by the appearance of the tapering of the binding on the side as that is often times a result of the masking and build up of polyester material on the surface of the body near that area.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Does the top edge of the tremolo baseplate actually need to be below the face of the guitar to get the action as it is currently?

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        Does the top edge of the tremolo baseplate actually need to be below the face of the guitar to get the action as it is currently?
        Yup. I've never seen a trem adjustment as such where the baseplate was all the way down to the cavity rout. You literally can't lower the bridge any more and string height is at a marginally acceptable distance. Yngwie be damned, I can't and won't play an ax with strings high off the fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
          It isn't a set neck unfortunately, because that would be much easier to repair. Your guitar is a neck through. Do not be confused by the appearance of the tapering of the binding on the side as that is often times a result of the masking and build up of polyester material on the surface of the body near that area.
          I stand corrected. You're right of course, it's neck thru. More of a typo on my part- set meant positioned.

Comment

Yup, exact same problems Ive had. The bridge has to be lower than the face of the guitar to get the action reasonable. As I said, its usually an easy fix (if you know what youre doing), but can lead to other problems. For example, Lowering the bridge that far into the rout can cause interference with the pickups. I installed thin metal pickup rings and lowered the pickups so it wouldnt be a problem, otherwise the pickups would have been flush with the original rings and they would get in the way. I seem to be a magnet for this defect for some reason, and Im pretty let down by it. Im not sure if I want to fix my RR24M myself or send it in, as I did buy it new. My main issue is that they no longer make the RR24M so what are they going to send me in return?
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Good point Rob. You can avoid it by only going like an 1/8" deeper towards the forward part of the route, and add more for pull back on the rear.
              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I have a Soloist (I forget which one) that has the "thinner-looking binding" up on the body like that but the trem is still level with the body and the action is 1.1 mm treble-side and 1.4 mm bass side, so I am sure that's just thick paint like Mike says.

That is so weird that this has happened on so many guitars now... I hope Jackson is looking out for these common quality issues, beating some heads in, firing a few people...

Comment

Damn, they don't even check the instrument? What the fuck is that about yo? This is like one popular restaurant where the cooks do their shit up front so everyone can see the cookin' process and whatnot, but the motherfuckers don't even taste once what they are doin'. They all wearin' gloves and shit and it's vibin' like a damn lab, thinkin' that by calculation it all automatically comes out hot stuff. Man it tastes like crap to me. Even 3 Michelin Star chefs in Lyon are tastin' everything they do. No matter how good you are... how you suppose to know how good something is when you don't even try it? I don't know if the Jackson factory is low on staff but they better get this shit straight.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Word, yo. Seriously, you make some good points and while it's easy for me to be all ego-centric about it, in fact, this is a problem that either IS impacting others or has the potential to. There is NO excuse for this kind of lax, shitty quality control...

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    Damn, they don't even check the instrument? What the fuck is that about yo? This is like one popular restaurant where the cooks do their shit up front so everyone can see the cookin' process and whatnot, but the motherfuckers don't even taste once what they are doin'. They all wearin' gloves and shit and it's vibin' like a damn lab, thinkin' that by calculation it all automatically comes out hot stuff. Man it tastes like crap to me. Even 3 Michelin Star chefs in Lyon are tastin' everything they do. No matter how good you are... how you suppose to know how good something is when you don't even try it? I don't know if the Jackson factory is low on staff but they better get this shit straight.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                      I have a Soloist (I forget which one) that has the "thinner-looking binding" up on the body like that but the trem is still level with the body and the action is 1.1 mm treble-side and 1.4 mm bass side, so I am sure that's just thick paint like Mike says.

That is so weird that this has happened on so many guitars now... I hope Jackson is looking out for these common quality issues, beating some heads in, firing a few people...
                      They should just take the Roswell star to people. I'm sure that would fix people.

That, or an old Poplar axe someone's got lying around.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Im glad the problem is being solved at least.
                        But even if you routed out the floyd route, wouldnt it feel wierd to have the floyd sitting so deep in the body? I tried playing my soloist with the floyd sitting right on the route(since my soloist has the same problem that Vectors RR seems to be suffering from) and it felt too wierd to pick our notes

Edit: btw the binding looks fine to me, it is a little clipped off but only because of the paint. this is what mine looks like:
                        Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 10-05-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
                          Im glad the problem is being solved at least.
                          But even if you routed out the floyd route, wouldnt it feel wierd to have the floyd sitting so deep in the body? I tried playing my soloist with the floyd sitting right on the route(since my soloist has the same problem that Vectors RR seems to be suffering from) and it felt too wierd to pick our notes

Edit: btw the binding looks fine to me, it is a little clipped off but only because of the paint. this is what mine looks like:
                          Yeah, having the trem sit that low in the routed cavity is a little weird but alas, all is not lost! The guitar guru has some remedies for what ails it! He assures me that when it gets back into my hands, it will be set up as I specified and the trem and string height will be perfect. The only item that we don't seem to agree on is the springs in the back- I have 75 % of my guitars set up with two springs and the claw arm screwed in far enough to keep the trem parallel with the body for that super slinky, spongy feel. He maintains that the RR1 can't and shouldn't be set up like that.

Comment

Wow, so I figured out which of my Soloists has the "thin looking binding" - I knew it was one of the black ones.

On my SL2H, the bass side action at the 12th fret is 1.4 mm, the treble side is 1.1 mm. The bass side is even with the face of the guitar, and the treble side is slightly OUT of the cavity (maybe .5 mm). The bass side is where you can see the "thin binding."

If you view the end of the fingerboard, it is noticeably higher on the treble side.

Think about that... How is the neck "higher" on one side than the other? :think:

Sides of the neck-through piece cut at a slight angle?

Comment

All I'm hearing in this thread is that bolt-ons are better than neck-throughs! Huzzaah!
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                                All I'm hearing in this thread is that bolt-ons are better than neck-throughs! Huzzaah!

:ROTF:
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X