Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Variations on a theme? Different Dinky Shapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variations on a theme? Different Dinky Shapes?

When I took a pic of my DK-1 and DXMG side by side, I was really struck by the difference in body shape.

Even though they are both based on the *Dinky* Shape, it is obvious that the U.S guitar is slimmer, especialy in the horns and waist.

I wonder how many different *dinky* shapes there are?

Here's the pic again.

[ July 06, 2003, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Re: Variations on a theme? Different Dinky Shapes?

I don't have a pic handy, but my USA DR2 is definitely shaped differently from my Soloist Pro and Dinkys. The back end is rounder, the horns are shorter, and the body is slightly thicker. It won't fit in a regular Dinky case.

Then there is the JRS model, which is pretty much a Strat shape, and the Super Dinky, which has shorter, sharper horns.
    sigpic

Comment

24 fret Dinkys have a slightly different shape than 22 fret'rs. The former have longer horns, etc. Also, there are some slight differences between San Dimas-era Dinkys and current ones. Basically, the edges on SD ones are a little more rounded, less squared off. I imagine the same differences hold true for Soloists, also.

Comment

I had an '89 Dinky 24 and its body was the same as a Fusion.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon:
          24 fret Dinkys have a slightly different shape than 22 fret'rs. The former have longer horns, etc.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">BINGO! We have a winner. This is exactly right and should hold true when looking at any Charvel/Jackson.

Comment

But you'll notice that the DR-3 and the Predator have shorter horns...
            Occupy JCF

Comment

The predator at least has 22 frets, thus the shorter horns of the 22fret dinky.

24fret bolt-ons seem to have a very Soloist style body shape, while the 22fret guitars have a different version of it, more suited to the 22fret design.

Comment

Lots of factors are going to play a role in that. # of frets, where it's made, when it was made, the model of the guitar, so I'm sure there are plenty of variations not just 24 fret or 22 fret. My 22 fret AT-1 is actually more like my 24 fret SL2 than my 24 fret ps4 is.

[ July 07, 2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: Sandman0170 ]

Comment

I always thought the difference of the dinky style for the Predator and the 3DR were the fact that they were more or less the first dinkys...
                  Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                  X