Interesting Fact I Never Knew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Fact I Never Knew

A poster on guitar.com from Finland was throwing out some facts on Children Of Bodom for people to get introduced to em. He mentioned Alexi Laiho had a sig guitar (Jackson) limited to 60 pieces. Bolt on, 24 fret, looks like a Rosewood fingerboard with sharkfin inlays and gold hardware. Here is the link, there's a pic of the guitar in there. Just thought this very interesting since I never heard of it and never heard anyone here mention it.

http://www.guitar.com/cda/discuss/re...sageID=3165928

Re: Interesting Fact I Never Knew

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801:
    A poster on guitar.com from Finland was throwing out some facts on Children Of Bodom for people to get introduced to em. He mentioned Alexi Laiho had a sig guitar (Jackson) limited to 60 pieces. Bolt on, 24 fret, looks like a Rosewood fingerboard with sharkfin inlays and gold hardware. Here is the link, there's a pic of the guitar in there. Just thought this very interesting since I never heard of it and never heard anyone here mention it.

http://www.guitar.com/cda/discuss/re...sageID=3165928
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The guitar in the first two pics (after the 5FX) is different than the one he's playing on stage- binding, ebony, OFR, etc. The first guitar is a bolt-on with no binding and a Japanese trem. Seems the Finnish distributor must have felt this guy was worth having Japan make a limited run of 60 guitars that look like his stage axe. I've never heard his name mentioned before, what kind of stuff does he play? And what is "Bodom?"
    Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
    www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
    [email protected]

Comment

I think the guy in the guitar.com post explained what Bodom was. There was a lake called Bodom in Finland where some children were murdered while camping. The murder is still unsolved as of this day. The band plays death metal, but CoB is known for their awsome guitar and keyboard work. It's very heavily classicaly influenced. If you've never heard of them, I highly suggest picking up their first album, "Something Wild". Their vox are typical harsh death metal style, but the music itself is great.

Alexi was one of the guys endorsed by Jackson, but when Fender bought Jackson over, things went a little wrong with the guys endorsed. We lost a cple guys, Alexi being one of them. He now plays and has a custom ESP sig guitar

Comment

Here's another model that was posted here awhile ago. http://www.musiikkikullas.fi/jackson_rhoads59.htm
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
          Here's another model that was posted here awhile ago. http://www.musiikkikullas.fi/jackson_rhoads59.htm
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey! That guitar has 24 nauhainen and a reverse helmiäiskolmiot! Cool!
          Chief Guitar Geek at George's Music Center
          www.georgesmusiccenter.com/theguitarstash
          [email protected]

Comment

Here's the story of the Bodom murders:
            http://www.childrenofbodom.net/ (fan page)
            The site is down at the moment, but they have got the story there.

And, I wouldn't call Bodom death metal. I'd call it Heavy Metal, with lots of different inspirational sources. The guys there are listening to everything from powermetal to extrem metal to proggressive metal to classical music, so their music is a blend of all the above +++. The only reason some people call the death is because of the vocals (common mistake theese days).

They play very melodic, technical heavy metal with death vocals (of some kind) [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . And i'd say that they have grown with every album, so I wouldn't reccomend the first.

Here's the official website: http://www.cobhc.com
            I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

And i'd say that they have grown with every album, so I wouldn't reccomend the first.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, with that I recommended the first album because it was the most classically influenced, One of the best albums for the guitar playing I think. As they progressed, they became more riff orientated. The latest album (imo) dosen't have as great solos or lead work, but it's still good ol' heavy metal

Comment

I only own one COB cd, Follow the Reaper, and I think it's incredible. The vocals can be a little harsh at times, but they're okay (kinda reminds me of Eric Peterson's vocals in Dragon Lord).
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[ July 07, 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: xenophobe ]
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The story with their own signature guitar is old news [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . I already posted it quite some time ago here. I saw it on the sinergy forum and there was a picture of it, so i posted it here. That was when the relationship between Laiho and Jackson still was good.
                    From what i got those guitars were only sold in finland because at that time CoB already were something like superstars of the finnish metal scene where in america they were very unknown at that time.

Ok i don't wanna sound like an ass BUT those vocals aren't death metal style. They are black metal style. I am really sorry because of all this categorizing (ok now i know this word is definitely wrong but at the moment i don't know how it's spelled the right way, hope you get the idea what i want to say [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) but i think it should be said. As reference listen to bands like Satyricon and Emperor. You will see that those vocals are quite similiar to Alexi's. It' this high pitched screaming.
                    And death metal vocals are very deep growling. Listen to Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel and you will see that it's really different.
                    Not every extreme vocal style is automatically death metal [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    In fact i think the music of bodom is a mix of heavy metal and black metal (on the first album black metal still was a quite big part of their music, nowadays it's mainly normal heavy metal). I never considered CoB to have any death metal influences.

Flo
                    http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Very good explanation Flo, and you did
                      spell "categorizing" correctly too.

I guess the spell correctors really CAN make someone gunshy; sorry if I've ever made you feel that way.

I'm off to read the story that inspired their name now; I had no idea where it came from. Sounds pretty sad.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Infernal Death, you are absolutely right about the black/deawth vocals. I have no idea why I said Alexi's were death style. Sorry, my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801:
                          As they progressed, they became more riff orientated. The latest album (imo) dosen't have as great solos or lead work, but it's still good ol' heavy metal
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Still, their new album is more melodic than ever before. You think it's lacking great solos? Listen to the second guitar solo in 'Needled 24/7' (2:57, I think). That has got to be the best bodom solo ever... IMO [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah, i didnt like the solos in HCDR at all when i first heard them, though now i dig a couple of them, most noticeably the hatecrew death roll one.
                            But i guess the feel is completely different, i prefer the older stuff still.
                            Cheers

Comment

There was a limited edition Japanese model called the RR-3LL which was for Laiho and Latvala of Sinergy. That first pic, while a very cool guitar, was not it(it does look like another possible limited edition based off Alexi Laiho's USA Jackson Custom). The second pic looks more like the RR-3LL.

Comment

Working...
                              X