Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting Fact I Never Knew

Originally posted by Infernal Death:

Ok i don't wanna sound like an ass BUT those vocals aren't death metal style. They are black metal style. I am really sorry because of all this categorizing (ok now i know this word is definitely wrong but at the moment i don't know how it's spelled the right way, hope you get the idea what i want to say [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) but i think it should be said. As reference listen to bands like Satyricon and Emperor. You will see that those vocals are quite similiar to Alexi's. It' this high pitched screaming.
    And death metal vocals are very deep growling. Listen to Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel and you will see that it's really different.
    Not every extreme vocal style is automatically death metal [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flo
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not to pick a fight with a fellow metal fan or anyhting, but I see no similarities between Alexi's vocals and the black metal-esque vocal style. Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, and hell even Dimmu Borgir's vocals sound radically different from Alexi's. And for someone to talk about generalizations of metal, mind you there are many death metal bands who opt not to use the Death Metal grunt. The Crown and Hypocrisy for example.

I hear very little Black Metal Influence even on Something Wild. To me atleast, CoB is Power metal with screamed vocals. And while it may not be "true" death metal, it could very easily fall under the category of Melodic Death.

Imho of course.

Comment

Death metal, black metal, it's all good music fellas, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801:
        Death metal, black metal, it's all good music fellas, lol.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ill toast to that ! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I`m a bif Cob fan... own all cds and so... the best album so far is hatebreeder, the second... If someone is looking for a great solo try kissing the shaddow on follow the reaper, or touch like angel of death on something wild (or even better live from tokio warhearts) [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] pure kickass

[ July 13, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Zhilavarius ]

Comment

another thing... try also mask of sanity on follow the reaper, has some cool tricks...

and i thing being a great guitarist isn`t just playing like hell, is`t also about meking great songs. This is what alexi does best.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @ infernal death...

that's why I edited my post above, I was correcting them about CoB being black metal, but it's really progressive, and I don't really consider them a black metal band... they're great musicians and have some great songs though.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

What scales does Alexi use? His guitar solos are what makes COB better than alot of the 'similar' bands. Link? [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes Alexi's vocals aren't the same as normal black metal style vocals found in bands like Emperor or Satyricon.
                  But his are also those high-pitched screams. While it's not the same it's similar (at least for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).
                  After all his singing style is far more black metal influenced than death metal influenced. The normal death metal style is deep growling. Sure not every death metal bands used this but most of them does. And Chris Barnes really sounds much different to Alexi than maybe Ihsahn from Emperor.
                  Also there are some very different sounding black metal vocals. I mean listen to early Burzum (Aske for example) and maybe to the newest Dark Funeral. Both albums have black metal singing style but sound different. But all have those high-pitched screaming, like Alexi's singing style. That's why i would consider Alexi's singing style far more black metal than death metal.
                  And as far as Hypocrisy goes. Well if you listen to their first cd Penetralia or Osculum obscenum you will realize that they used the normal death metal singing style. It's just a progression of Hypocrisy that now they don't use the traditional style as much as they used to. But then again viewing from the death metal point of view the new things like the final chapter and Hypocrisy aren't as much death metal as Penetralia or Osculum Obscenum.

After all i think it's really a point of view. For me screaming vocals are something like Tom Araya does. But Alexi's vocals are black metal influenced. Ok i stand corrected in saying that CoB had much black metal influence in their music. Well their older music was far more darker while today they really use those "happy melodics" like you hear at the beginning of Hate me. But it wasn't really black metal influenced from the beginning. But yeah CoB never were a band playing traditional black metal.

Oh and talking about Melodic Death. If you see what today is going to be talked about under the banner of melodic death (In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork) i think today's melodic death has nothing to do with real death metal like Entombed or Cannibal Corpse.

Well that's my opinion about it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flo
                  http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death:
                    Yes Alexi's vocals aren't the same as normal black metal style vocals found in bands like Emperor or Satyricon.
                    But his are also those high-pitched screams. While it's not the same it's similar (at least for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).
                    After all his singing style is far more black metal influenced than death metal influenced. The normal death metal style is deep growling. Sure not every death metal bands used this but most of them does. And Chris Barnes really sounds much different to Alexi than maybe Ihsahn from Emperor.
                    Also there are some very different sounding black metal vocals. I mean listen to early Burzum (Aske for example) and maybe to the newest Dark Funeral. Both albums have black metal singing style but sound different. But all have those high-pitched screaming, like Alexi's singing style. That's why i would consider Alexi's singing style far more black metal than death metal.
                    And as far as Hypocrisy goes. Well if you listen to their first cd Penetralia or Osculum obscenum you will realize that they used the normal death metal singing style. It's just a progression of Hypocrisy that now they don't use the traditional style as much as they used to. But then again viewing from the death metal point of view the new things like the final chapter and Hypocrisy aren't as much death metal as Penetralia or Osculum Obscenum.

After all i think it's really a point of view. For me screaming vocals are something like Tom Araya does. But Alexi's vocals are black metal influenced. Ok i stand corrected in saying that CoB had much black metal influence in their music. Well their older music was far more darker while today they really use those "happy melodics" like you hear at the beginning of Hate me. But it wasn't really black metal influenced from the beginning. But yeah CoB never were a band playing traditional black metal.

Oh and talking about Melodic Death. If you see what today is going to be talked about under the banner of melodic death (In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork) i think today's melodic death has nothing to do with real death metal like Entombed or Cannibal Corpse.

Well that's my opinion about it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Flo
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree !

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X