mellow pickups in a Fusion Deluxe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mellow pickups in a Fusion Deluxe?

Hi guys - I just dug up an old treasure and found your great forum. Thanks for having me. I bought a brand new Fusion Deluxe back in 1989, and it was my main guitar until the late-90s when I started trying strats, etc. Its been hanging on my wall for years but I finally cleaned it up. It plays great but my ear (and tastes) have changed. I'm thinking of selling it OR getting new pickups for it. Has anyone here had success installing more mellow-sounding pups in their Charvel? I have a super distortion, cool rails and lil '59 in my strat, and was wondering if similar pups in the Charvel will tame it nicely, or will it still have that hard-rock edge because of the floyd rose and other construction.

Welcome...

By mellow do you mean lower output? I consider something like the SD 59 a mellower pickup, and had one in a Model 4 for a while. It was nice, but at the time I couldn't hear much of a difference between that, the stock pickups, or the hotter ones that came later. I was also using a boggie with the gain cranked, which probably masked or negated the nuances the different pups gave.
    Last edited by Chief_CrazyTalk; 10-29-2010, 10:59 PM. Reason: jb, I meant SD

Comment

Just sell it to me and be done with it!!
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
        Welcome...

By mellow do you mean lower output? I consider something like the SD 59 a mellower pickup, and had one in a Model 4 for a while. It was nice, but at the time I couldn't hear much of a difference between that, the stock pickups, or the hotter ones that came later. I was also using a boggie with the gain cranked, which probably masked or negated the nuances the different pups gave.
        The stock pickup in a Model 4 is a J50BC which is basically a 59 with a ceramic magnet, so a 59 would not be that big of a change.

Comment

Originally posted by maurysmusic View Post
          Hi guys - I just dug up an old treasure and found your great forum. Thanks for having me. I bought a brand new Fusion Deluxe back in 1989, and it was my main guitar until the late-90s when I started trying strats, etc. Its been hanging on my wall for years but I finally cleaned it up. It plays great but my ear (and tastes) have changed. I'm thinking of selling it OR getting new pickups for it. Has anyone here had success installing more mellow-sounding pups in their Charvel? I have a super distortion, cool rails and lil '59 in my strat, and was wondering if similar pups in the Charvel will tame it nicely, or will it still have that hard-rock edge because of the floyd rose and other construction.
          I have one of these too. The stock pickups are the J-90C and the J200R in the neck. A pretty crushing combination.

A SuperD might be slightly milder than the J-90C. A larger step down would be a PAF class like a PAF Pro.

A J200R is like a hot rails, so a cool rails or lil 59 would be less output.

Personally, I don't like all my guitars to sound the same (why have more than one then?) but if you aren't playing it that's no good either.

Comment

Working...
          X