Neck plate-less Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck plate-less Kelly

I have been doing a lot of research and have not been able to come up with much.

I have a Kelly that is a "Professional" with Kelly Std on the rod cover. It does not have a neck plate. The serial # is on a sticker on the back of the headstock. The guitar is in pristine condition, but it still baffles me that some OCD person hasn't ripped it off by now.

Does anyone know if these are rare and about what year it would be? I know it's an import. I love this guitar! It plays nice and is the best of the 3 Jackson's I currently own. But, if it's worth something on a "rare" level, I might sell it to a friend of mine. I am in need of money and I'm sure I can squeeze quite a bit out of him...lol. Plus, I'm curious about it on a educational level, I have not seen another one like it.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I appreciate it!

welcome!
    you have some pics of your guitar you could post maybe?

with a bolt on neck it could be a parts mut as well.
    I can't think of a bolt on without a neckplate, and I can't think of a reason why it should come witthout a neckplate either. they all do usually...

I didn't have a serial on a sticker on the neck on any of my imports.
    usually the serial is either behind the last fret on the fretboard (on neckthrus) or on the neckplate.

could be anything IMO...

but if it's your best player, I'd suggest to sell one of the others anyway...
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

It's a Kelly Standard, and yes, they did not come with neck plates. A few Kellys of that era, like the Kelly XL and Kelly XLR did not have them, that's why the serial number is on a sticker and not on a plate. Not worth more than a few hundred dollars.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I found on a "Jackson" site that there were a series of plate-less Kelly's produced. The screws are nicely recessed into the body of the guitar and it all looks legit. I'm only assuming it's an import because of the "professional" logo on the headstock.

Right now it's at my studio, but I will get a pic as soon as I can.
        I would love to sell one of the others, but if this one will pull more coin, it will have to be sacrificed unwillingly.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks toejam! Do you know of anyway I can tell the year?

Comment

Anything with Professional written on the headstock is indeed Japanese. The first Jackson I ever got, around '92 or so was a Kelly Standard in dark metallic blue. I got rid of it because I was used to real Floyds and didn't like the low-profile trem at the time. Still a pretty nice guitar. The serial number on those would most likely indicate the year.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's J00**** Am I to assume that it is 1990?

Comment

Yes, although the full # would be nice. It's probably either 1990 or 1991. Nice guitars made in the Japanese factory, but nothing rare or valuable.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Will get the full # tomorrow.

Thanks all!

Comment

My 1994 Kelly XL is the same but has binding and sharkies. They may not be worth much money to some but they are AMAZING players. You may regret selling IMO.
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I don't think those were available in 1990 or even 1991. They came later, after the original Pro guitars were phased out and the shit started rolling in.
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

J003614.

Comment

Working...
                        X