New Pickup for RR1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pickup for RR1

(Sorry for the duplicate, I accidentally posted in the wrong forum.)
    Anyone have personal experience with Bareknuckle pickups, especially the Nail Bomb or Painkiller? Or the Suhr Doug Aldrich?

The Seymour Duncan JB T4 bridge on my RR1 is a killer lead pickup, but the tone on the bass strings is mushy and poorly defined, and I can't get much of a crisp clean tone out of it even rolled off.

I'm looking for hot, passive pickup with overdriven, sustainy lead tone, clear definition across the neck, but still able to clean up fairly well.

I do not play modern scooped, detuned metal, I play mostly 80's metal. I love Doug Aldrich's tone with Dio, but the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup probably wouldn't clean up well. The Nail Bomb sounds similar. I have DiMarzio Super Distortion on my Les Paul in the bridge position, and it's maybe a bit too trebly and slightly too distorted.

I know I'm asking for one pickup to give creamy leads, crunchy rhythms, and sparkling clean tones, a tall order, but that's what I want!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Hello!

Lots of people gave me advice on the Bareknuckles, so stick around!!! Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Comment

Originally posted by Skizzwizz View Post
      Hello!

Lots of people gave me advice on the Bareknuckles, so stick around!!! Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Did you end up getting a Bareknuckles pickup?

Comment

I don't have any personal experience with them, but they've got a great reputation. Also their customer service is fantastic - just email Tim at Bareknuckle and tell him what sort of sound you're looking for, and he'll tell you which pickup is best suited.
        I like maple fretboards. :P

Comment

Good suggestion to ask Tim. Doing this, I realized I know more what I don't want than what I want. I like different players' sounds but not one in particular. Well, Doug Aldrich, but the Suhr seems a tiny bit trebly.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkAll View Post
            (Sorry for the duplicate, I accidentally posted in the wrong forum.)
            Anyone have personal experience with Bareknuckle pickups, especially the Nail Bomb or Painkiller? Or the Suhr Doug Aldrich?

The Seymour Duncan JB T4 bridge on my RR1 is a killer lead pickup, but the tone on the bass strings is mushy and poorly defined, and I can't get much of a crisp clean tone out of it even rolled off.

I'm looking for hot, passive pickup with overdriven, sustainy lead tone, clear definition across the neck, but still able to clean up fairly well.

I do not play modern scooped, detuned metal, I play mostly 80's metal. I love Doug Aldrich's tone with Dio, but the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup probably wouldn't clean up well. The Nail Bomb sounds similar. I have DiMarzio Super Distortion on my Les Paul in the bridge position, and it's maybe a bit too trebly and slightly too distorted.

I know I'm asking for one pickup to give creamy leads, crunchy rhythms, and sparkling clean tones, a tall order, but that's what I want!

Any thoughts appreciated!
            YES I do.

Imo, I would do a Cold Sweat, Miracle Man or Rebel Yell in the bridge with a Cold Sweat or VHII neck.

The Cold Sweat is definitely up your alley. Try a calibrated set or with the VHII in the neck. They are awesome.

The Rebel yell I have not tried but it gets rave reviews from some.

The Miracle Man will darken it up, but doesn't clean up as well as the other twos. Still will work well.

What do I know, I only have Bareknuckles in 2 Jacksons (Painkiller, Cold Sweat and C-Bomb. Soon getting an Aftermath!)
            Last edited by Grim; 11-09-2010, 05:12 PM.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Thanks, Grim, it's encouraging to see such a ringing endorsement! I was considering keeping the Seymour Duncan SH2 in the neck position, it's creamy smooth, but a calibrated set does sound tempting . . .

Comment

Thanks, Grim, it's encouraging to see such a ringing endorsement! I was considering keeping the Seymour Duncan SH2 in the neck position, it's creamy smooth, but a calibrated set does sound tempting . . .
                I assure you, the Cold Sweat neck model is the best neck pickup ever. I was a Jazz guy too.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                  I assure you, the Cold Sweat neck model is the best neck pickup ever. I was a Jazz guy too.
                  I cannot doubt somebody with that many guitars! So CS is moving to the top of my list for both positions. I'll go back to the BKP site and check for CS demos again. Thank you!

Comment

I cannot doubt somebody with that many guitars! So CS is moving to the top of my list for both positions. I'll go back to the BKP site and check for CS demos again. Thank you!
                    I wish I had more!
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Did you end up getting a Bareknuckles pickup?
                      Hi again!!!
                      See, people were quick to help, right?
                      Grim helped a lot when I asked for advice, too.
                      I didn't get one yet: not till next month, maybe
                      Definitely talk to Tim @ Bareknuckle: wonderful guy!
                      I will most likely get the Warpig in the bridge, see how it goes with the original Jazz neck, as Tim said that would work fine...if I don't like the match up, then a Cold Sweat in the neck.

Best of luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Skizzwizz View Post
                        Hi again!!!
                        See, people were quick to help, right?
                        Grim helped a lot when I asked for advice, too.
                        I didn't get one yet: not till next month, maybe
                        Definitely talk to Tim @ Bareknuckle: wonderful guy!
                        I will most likely get the Warpig in the bridge, see how it goes with the original Jazz neck, as Tim said that would work fine...if I don't like the match up, then a Cold Sweat in the neck.

Best of luck!!
                        What guitar do you have?

Comment

Jackson RR1T: Just got it off eBay, just got here to Japan.
                          I wanted a way heavier PU than the JB in the bridge, and hate the way that one sounds, always have, but love the alder/maple/ebony match up on an RR1T.
                          I have a solid-state Vox VT-15, and am a home player at the moment because between grad school and work I can't get out to play anymore...sob!lol
                          I am considering an ENGL Gigmaster 15 amp and again, it's all for self enjoyment! I have a strat as well: a HWY one I had totally revamped this summer...BareKnuckles sound great on the site and Tim is way cool!
                          The folks on this site will point u there! They helped me lots, as I said before.

Comment

BTW, I chose the Warpig for future purchase because while the Nailbomb sounded awesome, it just wasn't sludgy enough for me, same for the Painkiler, which is also incredible, just not my taste...I love stoner, bass-heavy sounds, and a pu that can clean up well, which the Warpig seems to be able to accomplish. Sorry this is so long!

Comment

I felt like a blasphemer not liking the stock bridge pickup in the RR1, so glad to hear from you and others it's not just me. Realizing I'm not sure what I want to sound like. Would be easier if I could just say, I want to sound like player X and get the pickup he's using, but I like a lot of them, yet need to do some serious listening to choose a type of tone. Besides, a lot of big names play big name pickups--but I'm betting DiMarzio and Duncan custom build hand wound ones for those guys, so still Bare Knuckle is probably best.

Comment

Working...
                              X