EMG's love them or hate them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EMG\'s love them or hate them

Todd's delousional after a long day of selling Les Pauls to yuppies...

Comment

(what the chuck???)..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

LOVE 'EM!
        I've got right at 40 guitars and they are in 90% of them.
        I've been impressed with DiMarzio Tone Zones and Duncan Custom Customs, but what really takes my cake are the rare, hard to come by Ultrasonics, which I have a couple of. They are EMG like, but with more clarity and PASSIVE at that!!

If you find them, get them!

Comment

go with duncans or di marzio

Comment

I don't hate them but I don't really care for them.
            I've tried several guitars with active EMGs (well, and some with passive HZs too...), and I've come to the conclusion that their sound just doesn't do it for me.

I use Seymour Duncans in all my Jacksons and I just love their sound.
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

So Newc, If I had an eq like an MXR 10 band, would that help out the EMG's? When I get my SL2H mahogany, I'm contimplating whether to EMG's, because i want the sound of the mahogany to show through rather than the pickups colouring the sound, will the EMG's do that(81, 85)? I did try a DK-1 with EMG's and they were quite a bit more sterile than the JB and 59?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon:
                So Newc, If I had an eq like an MXR 10 band, would that help out the EMG's? When I get my SL2H mahogany, I'm contimplating whether to EMG's, because i want the sound of the mahogany to show through rather than the pickups colouring the sound, will the EMG's do that(81, 85)? I did try a DK-1 with EMG's and they were quite a bit more sterile than the JB and 59?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They do have a flatter response but it's not just an EQ thing they just sound less organic..more sterile. If I only played thrash metal a la Metallica or Slayer I'd choose EMGs everytime...but on the other hand I'd choose another pickup that is passive to do most hardcore metal and more. I'd say go JB, Distortion, or Custom. They should get the gain you need for metal with enough cut and can also do lower gain stuff fine too.

Comment

The amount of mahogany in an SL2H is not the same as a Les Paul, as the bodies are thinner. That has a lot to do with how a Les Paul sounds. While mahogany has a naturally darker tone and the maple cap offsets that by adding brightness, there's a big tonal difference between a Les Paul and Soloist and it's due to wood percentage.
                  EMGs will sound good in a 2x4 made of pine, and through EQ tone shaping it can sound like a Les Paul, Strat, or ES-335. (I gotta slap a 2x4 guitar together one day to prove that [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

If you want more of the natural wood tone to come through, go with passives. If you want tonal shaping ability, get the EMGs and the MXR EQ.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc! No I'm not really aiming for the les paul tone - I already have one. I'm still contimplating whether to put EMG's in. As opposed to Actives I was thinking of a dimarzio X2N with a PAF of some sort, or a Duncan Distorsion and a Custom Custom, but i have up to 6 months to think about it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                      (I gotta slap a 2x4 guitar together one day to prove that [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, you do.

(crosses arms, taps toe)

Hurry up!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

the only emg that I like is the 85, the rest is not my thing.

Harrald

Comment

So if I get EMGs then Ill need an EG? Or can I just fettle my amp?

Jamesy

Comment

A graphic or parametric EQ with selectable frequencies helps better than an amp's 3-band EQ IMO.
                            Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Aha.
                              Thanks [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jamesy

Comment

Working...
                              X