Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your opinion of certain colors on certain models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tobacco Sunburst is one of my pet peeves. Back in '82, when I first started playing, I got a Sears No-Name guitar for xmas that was TS'ed. Now, any guitar with TS on it just screams cheap, mass produced, shapeless, obsolete knock-off garbage to me. Absolutely can't stand it.

LJ
    "Yes, but ... these go to eleven!"

Comment

Fuck this thread. I'll just get my guitar repainted
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        :dead:

The kiddies seem to think ESPee/LTD is the way to go. And Schecter. A Soloist with a fucked-up three-on-a-side headstock, THAT is modern.
        What's wrong with ESPs? The one's i've played were all solid, well-made and high quality. Just because they're not "Made in USA" doesn't mean shit if you ask me.
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
          What's wrong with ESPs? The one's i've played were all solid, well-made and high quality. Just because they're not "Made in USA" doesn't mean shit if you ask me.
          Happy Turkey Day to 'Mericans out there tmrw!
          ESPs are great quality, just waaaay overpriced: here in Japan a new RR type is close to 4G easy. They make 'em here and charge that much, bro....no way!
          Absinthe Frost is awesome....if you only see it in a low-res pic, it just looks like an axe ready for St.Patrick's Day Parade in my hometown of NYC...it would fit right in there, so NO DISSIN'!lol
          Hate the grey snakeskin, bolted steel.....blood drips n cracks of any kind scream cheese.....

Comment

ESPs overpriced ? LOL

ESP Horizon FR-II in Europe : 1600 bucks.
            Jackson SK2H (equivalent without arched top) : 2300 bucks

ESP have prices that correspond to their quality, Jackson's the overpriced one.

But it's true I still prefer Jacksons (I have an ESP SV, I want to change for RR24s)

Comment

I got a rare chance a few years back to play a real live ESP Lynch Kamikaze and an LTD Lynch Purple Bengal side by side. The Kami weighed a ton and had the widest neck ever. The LTD played better but felt cheap.

And Jackson does do "themes" once in a while, unfortunately, they're poorly-conceived IMO. Note the recent "X" series CS run. First, they're all matte black, which screams cheap, second, they all have EMGs, and third, they're extremely overpriced, severely limiting the market potential. They see these dismal sales figures and say "bah, SPecial Themed Runs suck ass".

A few years back (mid 90s?) they did an Ash run - a Dinky, a King V (bolt-on), a Soloist, and I think a Kelly. All had Ash bodies, and all but the Soloist were bolt-ons. I had the KV. Nice player, but shit specs - rosewood board with dots, stringthrough/TOM, no flash, no style. Looked more like a jab at Fender than a serious try.

Now, if they wanted to do a "we can do that, too" run to jab at Gibson and Fender, do a run of goldtops with "trapezium" inlays like that NAMM Kelly a few years back - SLS, KV, RR, KE, SL, DK, WR - but in the IMPORT lines. This keeps the price closer to sellable (to more than Dave Ingram, Yoga, and Tracy anyway ), then a run of "classic" finishes like Tobacco Burst (LP), CherryBurst (LP), 3-color burst (Strat), or Cherry Red on mahogany (SG) on the same models.

However, there's no guarantee those would sell either. Obviously what they've got going on now works for them to whatever degree, heinous colors and all. I'm sure there are some people who love to see Cobalt blue on a Rhoads, and hate to see the RR5FR in Pink. Me, I like the pink. It's disgusting, in an offensive manner, and tells the Doom-n-Gloomers to get fucked, much as a matte black finish tells everyone else to get fucked.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc: Possibly because George Lynch spec'ed out the neck that way?

As for matte black, personally, i would kill for that NAMM matte black baritone-scale War Kelly with EMGs. Anyone got any GOOD pics of that sucker? Nothing's more badass than a matte black paintjob.

Anyway, back on topic. Take BC Rich for example. The NJ Deluxe series guitars (Warlock, Warbeast and Jr.V IIRC) have some sweet specs (neckthrough, OFR, EMGs, multi-ply binding, abalone inlays, etc) and cost almost half as much as your average neckthrough Jackson import, which STILL wouldn't even have matching specs. Would it really be that hard to manufacture flat-top import Jackson guitars with binding and similar specs WITHOUT the price going through the roof? Hell, would it be that difficult to offer an RR24 with (shock!) two pickups and (horror!) more than three colourschemes? Is it really that hard to offer a reverse headstock on anything other than a DXMG? I'm pretty sure the demand is there, Jackson just hasn't tapped into it.

Having said that, when i next have $3000 lying around (which won't be for some years since i'm still a student), i will be ordering a CS RR24 in matte black with reverse headstock and a single BK pickup.
                It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Personally I hate any natural/trans top that is veneer or photoflame. If I want a flame or quilt I want a real cap.

Other than that I don't have a problem with anything.
                  Last edited by Rogueleader; 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    I got a rare chance a few years back to play a real live ESP Lynch Kamikaze and an LTD Lynch Purple Bengal side by side. The Kami weighed a ton and had the widest neck ever. The LTD played better but felt cheap.
                    The Lynch models are made out of maple, that's why it felt heavy. And of course the neck felt wide... the nut is 1 & 3/4".
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

@Devotee I seriously love it when they say "RRs have 22 frets because they always had 22", you know, the "never evolve" kind. The RR24 is their most successful Rhoads so far and NOOOO they'd never think of making new variations of it, never !

I'd love a Rhoads like the pink RR5FR but with 24 damn frets (and an ebony board), a RR24 Lightning Sky, a RR24 with a neck pickup (single coil/humbucker)... but as long as they sell the existing models as much as they do now, there's no need for something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazz View Post
                        Maybe because in your opinion it's horrible and other peoples opinions are that it looks cool.
                        o·pin·ion

   /əˈpɪnyən/ Show Spelled[uh-pin-yuhn] Show IPA
                        –noun 1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second Medical opinion.

4. Law . the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.

5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

6. a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

Comment

I think the best idea so far has been bring back the Crackle

I'm having a DK2 done up with a Black/Neon pink crackle right now!

I'm not a big fan of the heavily detailed graphics, they are mostly pointless onstage because no one is close enough to see the details
                          Last edited by Frigo89; 11-25-2010, 06:59 AM.
                          Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                            Who said anything was wrong with ESP quality or where they're made? Are we both having the same conversation here? :think:

The point was, ESP is no more innovative than Jackson. They make a ripoff of the Les Paul, the SG, the Explorer, the Strat, the Soloist... Nothing innovative IMO. ALL of their body styles are highly derivative of some other established company's guitar body. But for some reason, teenage kid guitar players see them as modern" and "fresh" while Jackson is seen as "old-school" and "80's."

Maybe Jackson hasn't done anything truly innovative in some time, I'd accept that. However, IMO ESP has really never done anything innovative.

Comment

Great thread newc.

I agree totally. here is my list to ixnay:

Dark metallic blue this looks good on NO guitar. its boring and dull.
                              darby green
                              acapulco gold
                              agent orange
                              black forest, its fugly and needs to go.
                              Absinthe Frost
                              black pearl
                              gun metal grey

as for graphics

silver with dragon
                              shattered glass
                              skulls
                              they need a better hot rod flames

suggestions:

bring back the ghost flames finishes, and add new colors. change it up a bit. those were good graphics.

try some new colors or revisit some classics. maybe candy apple red. candy blue, an emerald green metallic. I think it might be cool to try a couple goofy colors too, maybe a HEAVY metal flake purple. ya know, a 70's bass boat or dune buggy type purple. and a heavy metal flake silver, this would be cool on stage with different lights reflecting from it. maybe a lime green like that too, look like a big fishing lure. and do MATCHING headstocks!!! why can they do matching trans color headstocks but not painted colors? thats nonsense.

how bout a few new trans flame top colors? trans pink, trans aqua, trans brown (gold hardware), trans purple, trans maroon or wine color (gold hardware) , trans lime green,

I do agree black has been over done, its a timeless classy color, but just too much of it.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

^^I like it!
                                Last edited by Scooter; 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM.
                                "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                                X