if jackson were aorund back in the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if jackson were aorund back in the day

do you think jimmy page,hendrix, etc wouldve played one?

But they couldn't have been around back then, Jackson was born out of a need for improvement on the classic designs. Better hardware, easier to play necks, more aggressive body styling, etc. Without Gibson and Fender, Jackson would have had no basis. After all, Rhoads was a big Gibson player and the Concorde was very Gibson like but with extra qualities that no Les Paul had. Having said that, it is interesting to see "classic" players evolving into Super Strats. Look at JY from Styx, his Kramer was used live for most of their shows in the early to mid 80's. Even Slash went to a BC Rich Mockingbird with Floyd for a while with GnR.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

"Even Slash" played 2 Jacksons (Firebird and Soloist) and had various other 'metal' guitars as well. It was only when he recorded Appetite that he got into LPs.
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

while i agree with charvel750, i'll play into the scenario. i would say that hendrix, as a player that took the instrument into new realms of sonic abuse, would more than likely been a floyd abuser. page, not so much so...some guys stay with traditional instruments, even if there are better options.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Hendrix would have played one simply because he could get a Custom Shop lefty and not have to flip his right handed Strats over anymore
          After Rhoads launched Jackson, everyone had to have one! I think many of those guys listed above would have at least tried one, heck Jeff Beck did
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

If they had been around when Yngwie started playing, he probably would have never scalloped a neck. Strats have those tiny little frets that give you less control, but if he had owned a Jackson with jumbos...
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              "Even Slash" played 2 Jacksons (Firebird and Soloist) and had various other 'metal' guitars as well. It was only when he recorded Appetite that he got into LPs.
              And the LP wasn't even a real Gibson.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

im just saying like the radical body designs. and they probably only played gibsons and fenders because those were the only body designs at the time and the best quality.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  And the LP wasn't even a real Gibson.
                  Yep. But Gibson sure didn't mind profiting from his popularity, did they?

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                    Shit, I remember going to NAMM in the late 80s superstrat era and going by the Gibson booth thinking "I feel sorry for these guys, they are dinosaurs", while lusting for Jacksons and ESPs.

Man how times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Shit, I remember going to NAMM in the late 80s superstrat era and going by the Gibson booth thinking "I feel sorry for these guys, they are dinosaurs", while lusting for Jacksons and ESPs.

I had a similar experience. I got the hots for a Les Paul in late 1986. I was in a music store and a guy told me that it was a great time to buy one because the Strat-style guitars were the hot item at the moment. I later bought a Cherry Sunburst Les Paul Custom, one year old, for $680.00.

I traded it back in three days later for an import Kramer Focus 1000. I still have that guitar and I've never regretted the trade.

Comment

Yeah, Gibson's made a killing making a replica of a replica that Slash used! Good for Slash, though.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                          Gibson will put anyone and everyone's name on a sig model. They even released a Jonas Bros model recently! :ROTF:
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

Gibson's NAMM display would make you feel sorry for them even in more recent times. In short their booth sucks! Its small and they generally only let in dealers until late on Sat or Sun towards the end of the show. From what I understand, they won't even be there this year. At least their name isn't on the Exhibitor's List :think:
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              Gibson will put anyone and everyone's name on a sig model. They even released a Jonas Bros model recently! :ROTF:
                              Can the Jonas even play more than three chords? I'm amazed how Gibson go even that low?
                              -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

Working...
                              X