JT 580 LP tremelo quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT 580 LP tremelo quality

I`m a newbie to this board and I have a question. I am considering adding another 25.5" scale guitar to my collection. I only have about $600.00(with case) to spend and don`t want to buy any used equipment.I also don`t want to buy another strat shaped guitar.I was looking at a RR-3 Rhoads in the newest Musician`s Friend catalog and it seems like what I`m after.I`ve heard that the import Jacksons are high quality,but I`m concerned with the quality of the JT 580 LP trem that comes on the guitar.I`ve played guitar for about 20 yrs. and have had bad luck out of Floyd Rose knockoffs.Crap metal,lightweight build,parts stripping out,etc.This guitar will not be a daily player as I prefer fixed bridge set ups,but I still want high quality.If anyone could give me any feedback on this I would appreciate it.THANKS

Re: JT 580 LP tremelo quality

Well.. I've had one on my KE-3 which I've owned for about 5 years. No problems with it... but then, I don't do a ton of stuff with it, just the occasional harmonic squeal bend or the like.

Comment

I bought a new DK-2 HRF last year (or 2001? Whenever they came out with the HRF DK-2 - I'm getting old and can't remember sh!t [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) and it had the JT-580. I swapped it out for an OFR real quick, as it didn't feel "right".
      Then again, I think I got the "store demo" that had been played since it came out of the box. The frets had visible wear and the strings were cruddy.
      Nothing wrong with buying used, IF you buy GOOD used.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've had three Jacksons with the JT580LP, and I've never had a problem with them staying in tune! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My main guitar for about 5 years has been a DK2 with a JT580LP, which is the only original piece of hardware on it. It has held up increadably and i've never had tuning issues with it. Still feels as solid as the first day I got the guitar.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.That takes care of my worries.Now if I could find someone who has a RR-3,to get some feedback on the guitar itself. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I had an RR3 for a few days. Because of my gut it didn't balance well. Sound and feel.......pretty good. I loved the neck. The one I had was equipped with DiMarzio pickups so I can't realy say anything about it stock. I believe the new RR3's come with a Duncan Design Invader copy humbucker. I have played a guitar with this pickup and it's pretty damn good for a knock off. I'd imagine you would swap those out though. I had one of the first JT580LP's on a Dinky Reverse I bought in 1995. I think it was one of the first. Anyway, it was my only guitar for about 5 years and it withstood extensive whammy yanks and dives. The one I have on my current DK2 is one of the best I have ever seen and used. I was going to swap it out, but I actualy prefer it to an OFR.

Comment

all my guitars have jt 580 lp trems on em , I allways lock em down cause I just like the tuning system on em but when I have played/used em I have never had any problems with em going out of tune or setting em up right . //Steve

Comment

I had a DX1, which was the earlier version of the DK2, with a JT580LP. It performed pretty well until it started wearing out a couple of years down the road. The limited lifetime is my only complaint regarding the JT580.

Comment

the jt580 has always been rock solid with me, and i've done some psycho stuff - shaking the guitar by the whammy bar. its pretty darn tight.

Comment

I have had no problems with the JT580LP trem on my guitars that have it. My experience with trem problems is usually that versions made of cheaper metal don't last as long as OFRs, Schallers and such. The knife edges where out faster, threads are more likely to strip, that sort of thing. Even if you use the whammy bar a lot, any trem *should* hold up for a long time. However, I have my doubts about the "satin chrome" style hardware, as I have to believe that the coating will wear off, possibly causing issues down the road.
                      sigpic

Comment

There are actually 4 or 5 different trems that are named JT-580..... beginning in 1994. The first ones were pretty decent but each successive version lost some quality. The current JT-580 is junk in my opinion. I'd rather have the trem on the lower line models.

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                          The lower line trem? You mean the JT500? I sure hope not, they're total s**t from the word go. The only times I've ever had any sort of problem from the 580LP on my Soloist is when I've f**cked something up. Not tightening the locknuts tight enough, adjusting the bridge a bit too low, stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
                          X