Shipping question for the Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping question for the Gurus

To those of you who have shipped a gigantic Jackson case, with the guitar inside; what did it cost you?

I had to ship something to Mass, from New Hampshire, and called the UPS store, and they quoted me 185 and change (needless to say, I drove it down). Yet, everytime I look on Ebay, I see shipping prices from 45 bucks to 85 bucks.... was UPS store trying to hose me?

Also, what is the best way to ship it? Obviously, I would slacken the strings. Other than that....? Newspaper around the headstock?

I seem to recall receiving any of mine in the gigantic case, placed inside a cardboard box.. but can't recall if there was any packing bubbles (or whatever thay are called) involved.

And before I asked this, I did search and came up with nothing.

Thanks for your help; I would really hate to ship a guitar only to have it arrive at its destination all fucked up.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

In a jackson case depending on the guitar for example, most stores will just put the case in a form fitting box and that's it.
    If the guitar is in the case made for it there's not much room to do much else, however for a RR1 or whatnot i will just wrap a bit of small bubble wrap around it, the headstock, put some of the thin foam or bubble wrap under the strings between the fretboard and box it. In a larger size jackson case, you don't really have more than an inch or two around it before the price jumps up a lot due to the size (at least at my ups) but if i can what i do is roll up some bubble wrap and put them on each end of the box between the case and box ( IE: headstock and wingtip ends ) to soften any impact of the guy slamming it down to hard since you can't do much inside the case.
    Strats there's usually more room and i'll go hog wild inside outside, whatever.
    You never really know, something can happen no matter what but i had an RR1 shipped from Maine to Washington State in it's case
    and nothing but an outer box and it arrived fine.
    From my personal experience, and asking UPS directly you can pay for insurance, but i think unless you have them pack something they will try to deny any claim.
    Best you can do is wrap it like a sumbitch and take pictures of you doing it, and that's what i do.
    Cost anywhere from 45 - 85 yeah.

Comment

UPS stores are rip-off centers, I wouldn't even consider buying anything in one. Everytime I've gone to buy a box there or something, they want something on the order of $4000 for a roll of tape, $10000 for a box(but there doublewalled). Go get a box from your favorite guitar shop, pack it yourself, and ship it yourself(do the postage online, and drop it off).

I shipped a Kelly from MN to FL, and I don't remember the price but it couldn't have been more then $50 thru USPS. I think UPS was cheaper, but the buyer request the other. Older kelly cases are enormous too.

Comment

Wait.... UPS and UPS Store would have different prices???
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Don't slacken the strings, ESPECIALLY if it has a Floyd. The UPS stores are now owned by UPS and no longer inflate the shipping charges (the same goes for FedEx).

Comment

Wow... I never would have assumed that UPS and UPS stores would be any different...

So really? Don't slacken the strings?

Comment

Would Fedex be cheaper than UPS, or would they be around the same?

Comment

fed ex is usually a little more - fedex is also used by the us post office for international stuff too.
                what makes it cost a lot or more is insurance.
                in a large jackson or kelly case best to just get a box that fit's it snug, and boxes are expensive anywhere if you buy them.
                usually i always save my guitar boxes if shipped to me. I've also wrapped a case in cardboard make shift box, just to pad it.
                in reality a good case should keep the guitar safe on it's own, box just keeps it from getting all scuffed up or opened and a place to slap a label on. Depending on the size of the thing.

i've never had anything get broken, even shipped overseas to Europe and all the way to Oz. did the best i can, and luck of the draw really.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                  did the best i can, and luck of the draw really.
                  That pretty much sums up shipping guitars. :dunno:

Comment

I've shipped guitars and received guitars via FedEx, but the last time I dropped a guitar off with them, the employee told me they're not allowed to ship stringed instruments...but she did it anyway. :think:

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      Don't slacken the strings, ESPECIALLY if it has a Floyd. The UPS stores are now owned by UPS and no longer inflate the shipping charges (the same goes for FedEx).
                      I think UPS stores are still franchised, explaining the huge price difference between using a store and just dropping off a package at a hub for delivery.
                      Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                      Wow... I never would have assumed that UPS and UPS stores would be any different...

So really? Don't slacken the strings?
                      I don't think I've ever loosed strings, unless someone wanted me to. It's more important that the headstock not touch anything in the case, allowing room for the case to absorb impacts before hitting and breaking the headstock off.
                      I'd also suggest putting all the little allen wrenchs, screws, trem bars, and whatever in a ziplock bag. Then roll it in packing so it can't move or open up. Nothing will destroy a finish faster then loose hardware floating around the inside of a case, in the back of a truck doing 70 mph.
                      Last edited by etepbbb; 12-27-2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Sweet, thanks for all the tips regarding this. The whole situation makes me a bit nervous, and I wish I could do a face to face transaction that way I know what kind of condition it will be in when it changes hands, but it should be ok. I haven't had any issues in the past (receiving guitars), but have heard horror stories, and I don't want any transaction tied to me becoming one.

Comment

I've never sent a guitar for the same reasons you're worried about. On the 17th, a 20x20x13 box from UPS store was $8+. I sent the 20x20x13 box of presents for my nephews from AZ to Tenn. that was 13#. The wife-ish dropped it off at the UPS store to be sent USPS because the lines at USPS were ridiculous. It cost $41 and didn't even get a tracking #. That's fucking ridiculous!! (yes, I was pissed that she didn't walk out and go to the post office.. I was asleep when this occurred). But as far as I'm concerned, UPS can go fuck themselves.. Oh, and it's still not there either..
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                          X