My charvel model 6 electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My charvel model 6 electronics

I love my guitar but it doesnt have all the original wiring/ect. I want to restore it with the orignal electronics including the active mid boost.
    Is it worth the cost? Or should i just buy some new emg's
    Last edited by superev1l; 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM.

Personally, I'd buy some new pup's. I'm just not into the Jacksons.

Comment

I love the JE-1200/J50BC/J200's, but if you don't have ANY of those components already I'd just go with the EMG's.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        I love the JE-1200/J50BC/J200's
        +1000

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        but if you don't have ANY of those components already I'd just go with the EMG's.

You can find these but you just need to be patient. One of the most recent guitars I put together was a black Model 6 without the electronics. I scored the J50BC and J200's for $50 shipped. A mid boost with toggle switch came with the Model 6, but I used a correct one with a pot. I can't remember what I paid, but knowing me it was probably $25 + shipping or less.

Also I decided to go with a J80C instead of the J50BC. This was because for the longest time I was trying to get a J80C for a 1988 Jackson USA I was restoring, and I got tired of waiting. This Jackson had a single J100 in the neck, so I figured WTF while waiting for a J80C, I'd through the J50BC in it. I was FLOORED with the tone of this guitar! Many people are always searching for the elusive EVH tone, well, this combination nailed it for me!

So then on ebay 2 J80C's came up and I bid on both to make sure I would lose, and I ended up winning both, one fore $15.50+ship and one for $20+ship. So then the Model 6 came in and I once again said WTF I'll use the J80C instead of the J50BC. Wired her up and once again I was FLOORED with the tone.

Some guitars you wire up and it's like "ho hum" and it takes a while for the tone to grow on you, but with both of these, they put a smile on my face as soon as I wired them up.

Comment

Go with EMGs. The Jackson pickups aren't worth the effort.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Yeah man if you are up for the scavenger hunt and wiring mysteries, hell yeah go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by superev1l View Post
              I love my guitar but it doesnt have all the original wiring/ect. I want to restore it with the orignal electronics including the active mid boost.
              Is it worth the cost? Or should i just buy some new emg's
              the cost will be cheaper than a new set of emgs. it's the hunt that's the problem. the je1200 midi boost parts are pretty hard to come by. it really come down to what you want to do with the model 6 after you restore it. if you're keeping it, then just put whatever pups you want in it. if you like the fact that you have an all stock model 6, including the electronics, then be patient.

Comment

Of all the Model 6 guitars that I owned I ended up pulling that crap out and putting good aftermarket pups in there. The JE1200 is okay at best and it make the two single coils tolerable (maybe....kind of...)

There are tons of better pups out there that can be bought used for much less money than trying to hunt down a functional mid boost system.

Just my 2 cents!

Comment

I have a model 6 wiring harness but will need to be wired back because some of the wires have been disconnected.I think there is a schematic on the forums to help you wire it back correctly.
                  I have a few Jackson humbuckers but no J-200 singles.
                  I for one love the mid boost systems and the J-50's
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I saw the Jackson electronics manual somewhere around here. I tried the search, but couldn't find it.

Comment

It's a pain in the F'ing ass to find. What the hell happened to the stickies in the last forum upgrade?

Comment

Anyone try these Finn Guitars copies?

Comment

No but it looks pretty spot-on. I made my own using a LM386 op-amp. This is a single chip amp designed to drive a small speaker, but when used as a guitar preamp, it provides a low impedance output signal with 20db of gain adjustable to 200db. The really nice thing is that it takes almost no external parts to implement - it's pretty much everything on a single chip.

Comment

Working...
                          X