Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the neck on a DK1 virtually identical to the neck on a DK2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the neck on a DK1 virtually identical to the neck on a DK2?

So, here's the deal. I've always loved Jackson, and about 2.7 years ago I got a beautiful DK2L (I'm left handed). I love the DK2. I especially love the feel of the neck. Now, fast forward to a month ago. I scored a left handed SL2H from craigslist for $900. I believe it's from 2005.

Now, after having the SL2 for a few weeks, and getting to play it side by side with the DK2, I've come to the following conclusion: The SL2 is the nicest, fanciest, smoothest, and finely crafted instrument I've ever gotten my hands on, but I'm better at playing the DK2. The neck on the DK2 is thinner, and also feels narrower despite having the same nut width as the SL2 allegedly. It also seems like the strings are a tad closer together on the DK2. The SL2 neck simply feels big compared to the DK2.

Now, I'm considering selling the SL2 and putting the money towards a custom left handed DK1 (if I can get one made for a somewhat reasonable price). My question is, will the DK1's neck feel basically identical to the neck on the DK2, or will it be more like the SL2, with a thinner back profile? It's hard to really tell because on the Jackson site, the DK2's neck thickness is measured at the 1st fret, whereas the DK1 and SL2 are measured from the 3rd fret, making a comparison difficult.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Deathrider29 View Post
    money towards a custom left handed DK1 (if I can get one made for a somewhat reasonable price). My question is, will the DK1's neck feel basically identical to the neck on the DK2, or will it be more like the SL2, with a thinner back profile?
    Call this a dumb reply, but if you are going custom, you can specify that you want DK2 neck specs....
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

My DK-1's neck is perhaps the thinnest neck I have ever played. When comparing it to a friend's DK-2 I would say the DK-1 makes the DK-2 feel like a bat. My SL-1 has a much thinner neck when compared to the DK-2. The DK-2 in question is a 2008, the DK-1 is a 2007 and the SL-1 is a 1997.
      1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
      2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
      2008 Satin Black SL3
      2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
      2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

Both of my DK1's had thinner necks than any of my Soloists, EXCEPT my '96, which was really really thin as Soloists go.

I would have to agree with Ron at lest in principle, that what you want is a CUstom Shop DK1 with a thicker neck profile than typical. If you want something thick off-the-shelf maybe check out a PC1?

Comment

Working...
        X