Lets talk about the PC1 neck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about the PC1 neck.

OK, since I still havent replaced my pink crackle, I am on the hunt for a guitar. I have always steered away from PC1 models because I hear that they have a baseball bat for a neck. I am accustomed to soloist neck profiles. I hate to take an expensive chance on a PC1. I am afraid I wont like the neck profile.

I would be curious to know what people really think of them. Heck, I might opt for a used one if I think the neck would be to my liking.

any ideas here???
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Baseball bat sounds accurate. I was amazed at how thick it was. I'm so used to the Jackson Speed/Ibby Wizard that like it was like....wow.

Comment

I love the neck on a PC1. Very comfy for me.
      Thicker than a SL1 but almost identical to my 1988 Model 5A.
      The 5A is a tad thinner, but not by much.
      -Rick

Comment

If you've been playing the SL1 type neck it is a lttle shock to the hand. But I've played worse. It just takes a little getting used to. At gigs I go from my Charvels to my PC1 with no problems.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I bought a PC1 because on paper they are pretty damn close to my perfect superstrat. So I really wanted to love it.

But I never got on with the PC1. The neck isn't a baseball bat, but it's way bigger than anything else Jackson currently offer. And it didn't feel like a Les Paul, whatever people had led me to believe, but it just didn't suit me. I really didn't like the bridge pickup and IMO the sustainer unit just doesn't function well as a neck pickup. But of course, the bridge pickup is an easy enough swap, and I understand that the sustainer pickup can be adjusted to get more gain. Having said all that, there are people here who love them and they've been around for like 15 years now, so they're obviously popular so what do I know?

For context, I have a bunch of different guitars and happily switch between different types (LP, Jackson, Charvel, GMW, Musicman etc), with different constructions and with different types of bridge (tunamatic w string thru/stoptail, recessed floyd, non recessed Floyd, Kahler). So logically, I thought I'd be able to adjust to the PC1, but that was not the case.

I'm absolutely not trying to put you off getting a PC1, but if I were you, I'd try to find a used one if you don't have the chance to try one locally. I saw one on CL in Florida for 800 bucks a few months ago, but that was probably a freak bargain.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

And to think that I wish my PC1 necks were even thicker!

Comment

I have an R8 and a 1956 and I think of shaving the neck down on both. I love the Gibson 60s neck and the neck on my 63 SG Special.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                And to think that I wish my PC1 necks were even thicker!
                www.enzyte.com
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

It's all a personal preference. It took me a little while to get used to my PC1. The PC1 and my Gibson R9 are my favorite guitars, but I also have several others that I play as well. In my collection I have an `89 JEM777VSK, talk about one extreme to another, I can go back and forth between that and the PC1 or R9 all day. I just like the tone that I get out of my two favorites.
                  You're not going to know unless you try it. Are they for everyone, no. Everyone's hands are different as well as playing technique and this is where it comes back to personal prefence.
                  Kinda like a car, looks great, you love it untill you get it and start driving it. You find that it's just not for you. You like the car for its beauty but find it's just doesn't feel right.
                  That said, just shave the bloody neck down if you want!! LOL!!!
                  You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

Thats why i sold mine...way to fat.. think old LP necks. If my PC-1 had just had the Charvel neck, i would still own it.

Comment

Working...
                    X