Scaloped sharkfin fret fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaloped sharkfin fret fretboard?

Found this little gem on local craigslist, anyone got any info on if this is a custom shop rig? Cant say I have ever seen scaloped fretboard on a Jackson before. Dude is only asking 120$ for it. a killer deal on any Jackson and I think it would be a nice addition to my collection! Never played on a scaloped neck before, any one got one and have something to say about it would be apreciated. http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/2183009859.html
    I would rather have a broken heart than broken fingers!

The neck looks like a replacement (non Jackson) to me but it still might be worth 120 for the other hardware. May be worth a look.

Comment

Yah, looking at the head-sock pic shows the sharkfin inlay rubbed off like it was painted on with a magic marker. Also the Jackson logo looks a little funny but I have seen them small like that before........... and being the body doesn't mirror the headstock graphics I imagine you are right. well maby I'll keep my dogh and wait for somethin better. If I needed hardware I would do it but I have plenty of extra stuff. Still would like some insight on the scaoped fretboard and playability of it if anyone has one or has played on one before.

Comment

Yeah, not a real neck. Scalloped fretboards require some getting used to, for sure. It's certainly a love it or hate it thing.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Depends on the depth of the scalloping though. My CS Explorer is very lightly/shallow scalloped. Just enough that your finger doesn't hit the fingerboard, but not so deep that chords go out of tune when you finger them. The scalloping on the LTD '88 is much deeper as a comparison. Most of those necks were factory scalloped from say, the 12th fret up. But I have seen 'em where the entire board was, and then, as Sully said, it would take some getting used to for sure!
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by sytharnia1560 View Post
            That's surprisingly pretty neat. That pickguard could've come out better though...

Comment

Thanks Syth, that answers the question of if they exist. wonder if there is a soloist out there with them?

Comment

Just had a good look at the link I put up and am pretty sure that the scalloping is after market (or I suppose could be a custom shop thing)...it looks like only the bottom couple of springs might be scalloped and only from the 12th fret

here's a soloist with full board done

Comment

Scalloped factory Jackson fretboards don't seem to be too common but they have been done. I have an 89 Rhoads that is factory scalloped from the 12-22 frets. I've posted pix of it before. I'll have to dig up pix and post them again. I bought the guitar from a friend of mine who is the original owner. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it to call me first and about 11 years ago he did just that
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

I do remember an SD soloist from the original JCF days IIRC it was scalloped all the way and had sharkies.
                    Color was black/black hardware.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hell ya! I gotta handel one of these. thanks for pulling up some pics. Like the yellow one except it is yellow. The search is on, if anyone sees one looking to pass hands I'd apreciate a heads up.

Comment

I have a CS Dinky with the 12th up scalloped maple board with black sharkies; its pic is on this site some where. I also placed an order for a CS soloist with all 24 frets scalloped in November. If you want the pics I will send them to ya.

Comment

Here's some shots of my 1989 Rhoads with factory scalloped 12-22 frets. I swapped out the original Jackson pickups for a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a JB in the neck. I also reversed the two volume controls so the front knob controls the bridge pickup and the second knob controls the neck pickup. Otherwise the guitar is as it was when it left the factory.
                          Here's a shot of it in use live

and here are some close ups:

Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
                            I have a CS Dinky with the 12th up scalloped maple board with black sharkies; its pic is on this site some where. I also placed an order for a CS soloist with all 24 frets scalloped in November. If you want the pics I will send them to ya.
                            Thanks, that would be sic, I do like the 12-24 configuration on RoodyRockers' 89RR. Question, Do you tend to blow through strings faster. Also, How unforgiving is it? Small miss calculation of pressure and results in chaos?

Comment

Working...
                            X