Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Pro Mod vs Model 4

Hey guys
    So I finally got somebody to buy my Jackson Professional Dinky XL.
    He's giving me 4000KR(that's Swedish money but that's not really that relevant).
    A Charvel Pro Mod from Japan costs 6300KR. So I'd be 2300KR short.

All of a sudden my friend phones me and tells me that there's this guy who's got a Charvel Model 4 for sale. 3000KR.

NOW JACKSON/CHARVEL BROS,
    Differences?
    Discuss!

What year of Model 4?

Comment

I prefer the feel of the neck on a model 4, but either trem on the 4s are not as good as the korean floyd rose on the new promods(the flat mount kahler won't stay in tune for bends even). The pickups are better(IMO) on the promods.

Comment

If its an '87 or later with sharkfins and a JT6 tremolo, JUMP ON IN. Model 4's are phenominal guitars, especially the necks. Lightyears better than the promod necks IMO, but then again, I dont like thick necks.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Lot's of stuff I don't really like or think is kind of wonky design features of the Model series in general:

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          - Kahler and Jackon behind the nut string locks
          - Kahler fulcrum trems and Jackson licensed Floyds
          - Mini Switches!
          - Jackson pickups
          - Jackson "boosts"
          - Gloss poly neck finishes
          - Basswood bodies
          Quoted from a previous discussion.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I agree with some of those, but not all.

The locking nut is superior to the behing the nut string lock.
            Depends on which trem. a Kahler Killer and a JT590 are both fine.
            Mini switches - yeah maybe there's a reason we don't see those any more.
            Jackson pickups - I like them - personal preference there.
            Jackson boost - the same. I was really happy with the JE1200.
            Gloss poly necks - no issues there. I don't have sweaty hands.
            Basswood bodies - I have some great basswood body guitars.

Comment

Personally (lol) I'd go with the Promod. To me, it is a better guitar. A Promod is no-nonsense awesome.
              http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Why the mini-switch hate? I like those, although I had to practice to be able to switch them quickly.

Comment

Way I see it, you're trading a Jackson Professional Dinky XL for a Model 4 + 1000KR. I'm not entirely sure how much that is, but I'd trade the Dinky for the Model 4 straight up, so adding some cash makes it an easy deal for me. I've played my Model 4 since '87, and it's still my go-to axe. I've tried the USA and import ProMods and I prefer the M4. I'm with Axewielder on this one, I don't understand the hate for the minis. I like em. Plus I like the Mid-Boost, and the pickups. The gloss finished neck is not a problem at all, and the neck profile is perfect. I am always on the lookout for more Model 4s.

Not that I find any fault with the ProMods. They are fine guitars and I'm looking to pick a USA model up too.

***Edit, So I've looked it up and 1000KR is about $153 USD. Not a lot, but I'd still take that deal. Of course the used M4 would have to be in great condition, not a beater.***
                  Last edited by BayRocker; 01-29-2011, 12:48 PM.
                  My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I've got a Model 4 and a SoCal (USA), like the neck on the Model 4 a bit better but the hardware (trem and pickups) let it down IMHO, and over the years I started disliking active guitars, just sound a bit compressed to my ears.

I've played the SoCal at most gigs over the past 2 years but the Model 4 hasn't been out of the house for a long time. You could make the Model 4 into a decent guitar by fitting a genuine Floyd and some SD or DM pickups, but by then you may as well buy a Pro Mod.

Comment

Hard choice IMO I love M4's and everything about them.So I would have to see exactly what year M4 it is.Kahler flat mounts are great trems and those came on 86's JT-6 87-88's.JT-6's are great too never had one lay down on me ever!
                      The Jap pro mod is a great guitar too but a bit more cash.
                      Really it boils down to what shape the M4 is in.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks guys
                        I decided to go for a 1990 Jackson RR Professional neck through guitar.

Comment

Working...
                        X