Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do they use to finish USA Jackson's??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do they use to finish USA Jackson's??????

this may be a stupid question, but what do they use to clear coat USA Jacksons??? Nitrocellulose laquer? Polyurethane?? something else?? I know nothing about this. the finishes on all my usa jacksons seem to be very durable. Anyone know what they use for them?
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

i dont know either but i know its not nitrocellulose because Gibson uses that type and its very fragile.

Comment

Poly
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

when did Jackson start using polyurethane???

Comment

For graphic finishes I think it is mostly polyester, and some polyurethane. Somebody correct me if I am wrong (like I really need to ask ) but poly-e can have a yellowish tint and would not be used over white base coats, where poly-u really shines. But, poly-u can be thinner and will show seams in the body. So, it is a matter of using the right tool for the job.

EDIT: Same goes for solid colors. No clue on tranny finishes lol.
          Last edited by Axewielder; 01-30-2011, 10:42 PM.

Comment

how bout on transparent finishes??

Comment

And yes they went with nitro on those godforsaken "Tourtured" guitars.

Comment

Jackson is the hardest finish on any guitar I've ever owned. My Ps4 fell from the ceiling and hit a concrete floor and you can't even see wood, cracked the finish but not one piece chipped off. That's Ford tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  you mean those beaten up charvels with the worn look but their new....? those ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Interestingly - the Charvel Nitro Relics were sprayed with nitro - a finish never really used on Charvels. The Tourmented guitars - at least the ones through the Music Zoo were poly finished and beat up. I think there was another run for somewhere else, but I don't know what they used.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

hmmmm.....

so nitro cell laquer was never used on J/C stuff then??? other than these tourtured guitars.

so they are all polyester or urethane then??

Comment

Never is a strong word - but I would guess that no - they did not ever use Nitro, and if they did, it was one-offs or very limited in use. A factory nitro finished early Charvel would be a "missing link" guitar.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Jackson uses poly for the most part, PPG paint to be exact. They will however use other stuff through the custom shop if thats what you want. My 24 fret Mystic Rhoads custom shop is painted with lacquer. I know because I had to send them the exact paint I wanted at the time. Of course that was in the late 90's when that was built.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

so when you guys say poly, is that polyester or polyurethane????

Comment

Yes.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X