Jackson Soloist V. ESP KH-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Soloist V. ESP KH-2

Anyone know about ESP KH-2 models and how they compare to a Soloist or Jackson in general?? in terms of feel and build quality??
    Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

If I recall correctly - isn't only the "relic" version of the KH neck through? The rest are bolt ons? I'm talking about the real deal ESP's - not the LTD's.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      If I recall correctly - isn't only the "relic" version of the KH neck through? The rest are bolt ons? I'm talking about the real deal ESP's - not the LTD's.
      ESP also makes a KH-2 neck through that is not "relic." I've owned a couple and I still prefer my SL2H with 81/81 in overall build quality, feel, and tone.
      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

They are very nice guitars. I prefer the USA Soloist just because it seems more refined. The ebony board feels much smoother and looks classier in my opinion especially with the binding which the ESP lacks. The KHs are also a 12" radius only unlike the 12-16" of the Soloist. I do prefer the average shape of a USA Soloist neck to the KH as well. The KH does have the two volume knobs however with a master tone which is nice. All in all I think it is about preference really. You pay quite a bit extra for what is basically an M2 because it has the Hamster's name on it versus a bit more for the Jackson base model. They are very nice guitars however and will both do the same things with equal aplomb.

As far as feel goes. The neck is a bit different to me, fatter near the nut while thinner near the joint. The Rosewood is obviously rougher versus the Ebony. As far as quality goes I think they are very close and one specimen compared to the other would vary only due to manufacturing tolerances or what day of the week each was made. In other words I find them both to be very high quality pieces on average. Obviously the stock actives on the ESP are going to have more punch for high gain but pickups are easily swapped.
        Last edited by Sukkoi19; 02-11-2011, 04:22 PM.
        1997 Dark Candy Red SL1
        2002 Candy Apple Green DK1
        2008 Satin Black SL3
        2011 Charvel Socal Candy Red
        2010 Les Paul Standard Plus Cherry Burst

Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Comment

The KH-2 costs around $3000 on the internet, the SL2H 2000.

ESP is made in Japan, Jackson is made in USA => better quality controls.

ESP has active EMGs, Jackson has passive Seymour Donkeys.

Oh and the ESP has stupid inlays IMO ^^. And I hate Kirk Hammett ^^

Comment

It depends on which KH-2 this is. There is the standard Signature KH-2 and the Custom shop KH-2.

ESP Standard and Signature series (export US etc models) are made in a factory with CNC machines etc, then usually finished at the custom shop. ESP Custom and local Jap models (Original, Artist, Navigator etc) are entirely hand made by a small team at one of 4 (of which I remember) custom shops. These 4 shops compete with each other in quality to ensure it never goes down. When I visited the Craft House they had 3 people working at the place.

I would say Standard USA vs Standard ESP... I would lean towards the USA for the general feel, there are of course exceptions.

Custom USA vs Custom ESP there really is no difference, it has more to do with personal perception.

Custom Shop KH-2 will often have better quality and tonewoods to a USA Select SL2H.

So if we are talking standard ESP then go for the Jackson! But try both if you can before you buy.

(above does not include Ltd / Edwards/ Grassroots etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Nagash02 View Post
              ESP is made in Japan, Jackson is made in USA => better quality controls.
              I wouldn't say that too quickly, I may agree on the level of workmanship on (USA) Jacksons may be higher
              but an assumption that japanese hold an inferior level of QC is an opinion based on,....?
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                but an assumption that japanese hold an inferior level of QC is an opinion based on,....?
                Originally posted by Nagash02 View Post
                Oh and the ESP has stupid inlays IMO ^^. And I hate Kirk Hammett ^^
                This, probably.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

LOL

No it's just that on many high-end ESPs including my own, there are sometimes some little flaws that shouldn't have come through a good QC. I have played much more ESPs than USA Jacksons but the Jacksons were all absolutely flawless so far.

Comment

Yeah, it's actually a really nice guitar (the KH-2) except it's an Espee and it has dumb inlays and that Kirk Hamster guy plays it and he sucks.

But other than that, it's a really nice guitar.

Comment

If you want to consider a high end esp, look at the Original Series on the right of this page: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/original/index.html - however you will need to import it.

Jackson USA have generally a solid feel and you cannot go wrong for the price! Also Jacksons have compound radius which I very much like.

Comment

Working...
                      X