Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some please explain "TSA" guitar cases to me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some please explain "TSA" guitar cases to me.

It used to be that, if you were going on tour or just needed a really heavy-duty case, you bought an "ATA" case. Now, I'm instead seeing "TSA" cases with specific locks on them. Can someone tell me what the difference is, and if such a case is worth the money?

I have either the original cases or comparable SKB cases for my Jacksons, and there is a possibility that I may actually need to fly with them this summer, so I want to be prepared.
    sigpic

My understanding is TSA cases use a lock that a TSA universal master key can open without being cut or smashed to pieces.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yup.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Going domestic, it might make sense to just ship the guitars (as scary as that sounds). Otherwise, some TSA monkey might start living his rockstar fantasies with your gear!

Comment

I took one from Virginia to Vegas in the standard Jackson case and was a nervous wreck. I arrived in tune and not a thing wrong with the case or the guitar. What sucked is I had to leave it unlocked. Thats what those TSA cases are good for.. at least the "handlers" don't have the ability to take a peak. Wouldn't you? LOL
          That being said, from Vegas to Virginia, I got the case off the luggage return thing and all but one end latch was open! YIKES!!!!!

Comment

Gig bag and make it your carry on. Best way to fly
            This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
              I took one from Virginia to Vegas in the standard Jackson case and was a nervous wreck. I arrived in tune and not a thing wrong with the case or the guitar. What sucked is I had to leave it unlocked. Thats what those TSA cases are good for.. at least the "handlers" don't have the ability to take a peak. Wouldn't you? LOL
              That being said, from Vegas to Virginia, I got the case off the luggage return thing and all but one end latch was open! YIKES!!!!!
              First time flying with a guitar, I used a beat up plywood case with alll, I mean ALLLLL the hinges BROKEN off, the only way it stayed shut was by the latches. And I shipped my Model 4 in this :shocked: Still arrived both ways in tune

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
                I took one from Virginia to Vegas in the standard Jackson case and was a nervous wreck. I arrived in tune and not a thing wrong with the case or the guitar.
                I rarely arrive in tune after a 4 hour flight

Comment

TSA (Transport Security Administration) has invented a handy little lock type, which only they can open with a masterkey that they have. It spares them smashing your normal lock in case they get curious about the contents of your guitar case. If you fly, I suggest you invest either in a TSA lock equipped case, or at least a TSA hang lock. Buys you that peace of mind you need.
                  Travelled the world, and seen all kinds of shite, TSA just don't take shit, it's that simple, regardless of it being a guitar case or a suitcase stuffed with beach clothes - they treat it all the same.
                  "Hey man, it's better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool!"

My Jacksons/Charvels:
                  '91 Jackson® (MIJ) Professional Limited Edition Phil Collen Sig Archtop in Black
                  '91 Jackson® USA Kelly KE-1F (FLOYD!)
                  '89 Jackson® USA Phil Collen Archtop in White (KAHLER!)
                  '88 Jackson® USA Granite Strat

Comment

This thought came out of nowhere, but here it is...

Do those tsa people check the trem cavities for anything like drugs, money, etc?
                    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
                    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

The people don't but the dogs and computers will give it a sniff.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                      X