Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me to identify this Charvel guitar

Hallo!

I'm an old fan of charvel, and totally I have a 4 of 'em. Two charvettes (one since millenium) and charvel mod 6 with kahler were my best friends for some time.

And for a month ago I've found in the net and bought a guitar, that I think, was a 750xl. I discover that it's great guitar, but today I have some questions on it...

So here is the question - I've bought a MIJ charvel, 750xl I think, but it has some differencies from usual 750xl

Serial number is C905448
    so it's really mahogani with maple top and 24/75 scale. Everything looks like 750 xl, except of 2 things:
    1. Charvel "guitar-style" logo on the neck - I know that all 750xl's wear toothpaste logos!!
    2. gibson-style PU switch.

Also guitar has a gold furniture, under tune-o-matic bridge marked "Gotoh".

Here's my email answer I sent to you 2 days ago, when you emailed me the same question:

Hi jey.

You have a beautiful 1989 Charvel SLA-160-HH. As you already found out, it has almost the same specifications as the Charvel 750 XL.

Your guitar was made in Japan and for sale only in Japan. List price back in 1989 was ¥160,000.

Here is your model in the 1989 Japan catalog only:

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...yPage11_12.jpg
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

jackson1 thanks a lot! That's all info I need.

Also another one question - what pickups can make this guitar better? J50 is not very hi output and not very clean. I play something like souther rock/metal/sludge today and bought this charvel to get a source of sounds that I need today (others serve me to shred))))) Today I'm working on things that need to be sounded like Crowbar and Down. Maybe anyone has some advice? I'm not using any gibsons and other stuff, because many years I'm happy with charvel''s, and it's ergonomics great for me.

Comment

I think I like that BETTER than the 750XL. I just like the logo more from the Model Series. Never did dig the toothpaste logos.
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by el-doctor View Post

Also another one question - what pickups can make this guitar better? J50 is not very hi output and not very clean. I play something like souther rock/metal/sludge today and bought this charvel to get a source of sounds that I need today (others serve me to shred))))) Today I'm working on things that need to be sounded like Crowbar and Down. Maybe anyone has some advice? I'm not using any gibsons and other stuff, because many years I'm happy with charvel''s, and it's ergonomics great for me.
          If you want clean and powerful, you could try the Full Shred set that I have in mine (same as yours, less the switch and logo). Mine came without pickups. At first I tried a Mayhem set, but it was just too "much". The Full Shred set was made for fat, short scale fixed bridge guitars. I have a Mega 5 way switch and split, the thing sounds very stratty. I usually use mine to play Schenker / UFO stuff, so I'm not sure about southern rock. I use a DSL100 1/2 stack.
          Last edited by DonP; 03-13-2011, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Did you get my email?
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
              Did you get my email?
              Yes, Henrik, I
              ve received your e-mail. Thanks a lot for this info)))) Has you any idea of replacement pickups on it?

Comment

DAMN that's killer!

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

today with my good friend we unscrew pickups from this Charvel and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

both were J50N !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

both were neck pickups!! how this can be???

my friend had J50N and J80B from his own charvel mod 5, we put 'em and it sounds MUCH better on bridge, totally changed...

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Gibson 498T 490R for this guitar, any opinions on this are welcome

Comment

Also another one question - what pickups can make this guitar better?
                    I´m also curious what kind of pickups would fit perfect with this guitar.Especially for fat, chunky palm mutes.To me the stock pickups sound a little too thin.Any suggestions?
                    Guitars: Jackson KE-1, JRS-1, SL-1 / Charvel 750XL / Gibson Les Paul Standard

Comment

Duncan Custom, Custom 5, Distortion, 59b, JB, Invader, Pearly Gates, Parallel Axis (1, 2, or 3)....... the list is endless. Try some and find the ones that work for you, because what works for one doesn't work for everyone.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Dude, Bareknuckle Alnico Warpig.

Crowbar and Down is it's middle name, but it cleans up very well. It has even seen use by jazz guitarists.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                        X