Marty Friedman to sell Megadeth Era Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ken View Post
    I shall refrain from asking how you feel about Skolnick playing jazz!
    ...or Chris Poland playing fusion...!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
      ...or Chris Poland playing fusion...!
      ... or Dan Spitz making watches (!)...

http://www.spitzwatch.com/

Comment

after reading mustaine's memoirs it is surprising that he managed that long in a band full of addicts who often seemed to hate each other couple that with mustaine's need for total control of the band and you can see why he had had enough
        http://www.youtube.com/dvschsa

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
          Really? I never saw that. Hmmmm, interesting if that's true. Anybody else ever hear this?
          Yes. I read it somewhere, straight from Marty - probably his own website. He wanted Megadeth to play more extreme stuff and wasnt happy with where they were going.
          BTW, if you think he never wrote much in Megadeth you need to listen more to his solo albums, I think it's pretty obvious Marty had a BIG hand in the writing when he was in that band just from listening to his solo stuff.

I don't understand why people think all he does now is Japanese pop music - this is from the 2009 solo album and I'd say it's more "extreme" - certainly it's less "commercial" than anything Megadeth have done. He's still fucking GOT IT - makes me laugh to hear Dave Mustaine go on about how Chris Broderick is the guy he wanted since he started Megadeth. Broderick couldn't play like this - it'd be all sweep picking bleeping and blooping fucking nonsense.

Marty Friedman - ??? (Tsume Tsume Tsume) - Maximum the Hormone cover from album Tokyo Jukebox
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

yeah, i agree on broderick. all flash without substance. marty's solos were great and melodic.
            http://www.youtube.com/dvschsa

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
              Broderick couldn't play like this - it'd be all sweep picking bleeping and blooping
              I hear ya, but I wish I could bleep & bloop like that!

Comment

I just can't make myself dislike Marty. How can you dislike somebody who's true to themselves and what they want to do? Marty could have played it safe and stayed in Megadeth, but he didn't want to. As for the reasons he left, I've heard and read many conflicting things. Mustaine changes his story now and then, and I do remember him saying something to the effect that he and the producers were responsible for the pop direction on the later albums and that Marty didn't want to play it safe. As for Broderick, he's absolutely an awesome player. I've seen him live twice now. His impact on Megadeth's music remains to be seen, though.
                Last edited by javert; 04-01-2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                  I just can't make myself dislike Marty. How can you dislike somebody who's true to themselves and what they want to do? Marty could have played it safe and stayed in Megadeth, but he didn't want to. As for the reasons he left, I've heard and read many conflicting things. Mustaine changes his story now and then, and I do remember him saying something to the effect that he and the producers were responsible for the pop direction on the latter albums and that Marty didn't want to play it safe. As for Broderick, he's absolutely an awesome player. I've seen him live twice now. His impact on Megadeth's music remains to be seen, though.
                  I've only heard one song where it sounded (to me) like Chris Broderick putting his stamp on Megadeth and that was "How The Story Ends." Most everything else on Endgame he sounded like a cleaner version of Mustaine. Was hard to tell in some spots where Mustaine stopped and Broderick began.

Comment

I don't understand why people think all he does now is Japanese pop music - this is from the 2009 solo album and I'd say it's more "extreme" - certainly it's less "commercial" than anything Megadeth have done. He's still fucking GOT IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq_TUG-5CPY
                    The link you posted is for Marty's cover of a Maximum the Hormone tune:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

They are pretty big in Japan, and would qualify if not as "J-Pop", then at least as "Popular Japanese Music" in my book, in that they get lots of airplay, are on TV, and have lots of exposure.

I think that when people hear the term J-Pop, they think of songs like this (which Marty also covered):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

However, J-Pop is not limited to groups of girls in wacky outfits singing over synthetic rhythms.
                    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Bah Atsushi...I lasted 1:20 on that last vid

The girls are nice to look at, but I couldn't take that, aaarrgghhh - maybe if somebody replaces the song with some metal hahaha, yes, a J-pop / metal mashup!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Bah Atsushi...I lasted 1:20 on that last vid

The girls are nice to look at, but I couldn't take that, aaarrgghhh - maybe if somebody replaces the song with some metal hahaha, yes, a J-pop / metal mashup!
                        Ron, sort of like this?

Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                          I've only heard one song where it sounded (to me) like Chris Broderick putting his stamp on Megadeth and that was "How The Story Ends." Most everything else on Endgame he sounded like a cleaner version of Mustaine. Was hard to tell in some spots where Mustaine stopped and Broderick began.
                          Yeah, Broderick said in an interview that the album was basically done before he joined, except for the solos, so I think it's safe to assume that he had little or no influence on the compositions as such. Whether he'll get a say in matters down the road is difficult to say.

Comment

Yes. I read it somewhere, straight from Marty - probably his own website. He wanted Megadeth to play more extreme stuff and wasnt happy with where they were going.
                            BTW, if you think he never wrote much in Megadeth you need to listen more to his solo albums, I think it's pretty obvious Marty had a BIG hand in the writing when he was in that band just from listening to his solo stuff.

I don't understand why people think all he does now is Japanese pop music - this is from the 2009 solo album and I'd say it's more "extreme" - certainly it's less "commercial" than anything Megadeth have done. He's still fucking GOT IT - makes me laugh to hear Dave Mustaine go on about how Chris Broderick is the guy he wanted since he started Megadeth. Broderick couldn't play like this - it'd be all sweep picking bleeping and blooping fucking nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq_TUG-5CPY
                            No, he really didn't. Don't point to Cacopheny either because he had Jason Becker there to collaborate with, and he was the better writer of the 2. He may have taken some of the Mega sound with him after leaving for when he needed to on the solo disks, but he didn't contribute to much at all until Cryptic and Risk and that was mostly just flavor with the other stringed instruments he played. Rust was writen before Marty joined (just like Endgame was for Chris B.) and all Marty did was add the solos AFTER hearing what Poland had already done for some of it.

Originally posted by ceedee View Post
                            yeah, i agree on broderick. all flash without substance. marty's solos were great and melodic.
                            Again, I like Marty's solos....he's just not a great writer.

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                            I respectfully disagree. There is a huge noticable difference between the 2 styles..... 44 Minutes solo is f'n spectacular as are a few others, and what he added to The Hardest part.....is great!

Originally posted by javert View Post
                            Yeah, Broderick said in an interview that the album was basically done before he joined, except for the solos, so I think it's safe to assume that he had little or no influence on the compositions as such. Whether he'll get a say in matters down the road is difficult to say.
                            +1
                            Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                              I respectfully disagree. There is a huge noticable difference between the 2 styles..... 44 Minutes solo is f'n spectacular as are a few others, and what he added to The Hardest part.....is great!
                              On some songs I would agree, there's a distinct difference. On other songs, Broderick simply sounds a little too much like Dave shredding. He even said himself in interviews that he went into the Endgame sessions with the approach of emulating the Megadeth sound. Which explains a lot. The opening track is a prime example of this. There are some sections where you can tell who is who fairly easily, and there are other sections where it's a blur. Sure, I could pay closer attention and pick them out if I wanted to but it's music not a test. It gets a little fatiguing to the ear as a listener when there isn't a whole lot of contrast between each solo sandwiched together.

As for 44 Minutes, I would have to hear it again. It's been a while since I have listened to the record and the only solo I can actually recall and hum in my head is Broderick's in HTSE. The rest, like most of the songs on the record, are pretty forgettable.

Comment

It's incredibly easy to tell which is Dave and which is Chris, Dave has a heavy attack while Chris sounds like he is using a pick made out of butter on the last Megadeth album.
                                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                                X