No announcement yet.

Marty Friedman to sell Megadeth Era Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first listen like on dialectic chaos i couldn't exactly tell them apart either. when i listened closer i was more impressed with daves playing as he seemed to really step it up, but it seemed he kinda traded his style to a more shred IE: sounding like brodericks style but without the sweep arpeggios which is basically how i could finally tell them apart.

Comment

Come on... Dave's choppy picking is easy to spot.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
        Come on... Dave's choppy picking is easy to spot.
        Of course, regardless... when Broderick is "emulating" the Megadeth sound and shredding pentatonic scales along side Mustaine it quickly becomes a forgettable wank-fest. Again, listen to Dialectic Chaos. There are plenty of parts where if it wasn't for a few select sweeps you wouldn't know if Broderick was there or not.

It's not so much the picking as it is the approach to the solos. Granted, not ALL of them on the album are like that. But the contrast between Dave and the employee of the month of previous records surely is missing on Endgame. I hope Broderick goes into the next record wanting to put HIS stamp on Megadeth rather than emulate.

Comment

Brian, I understand what you mean. I think one has to realize that, at that time, Broderick had to prove that he could fit in, i.e. that he would buy into the concept. Like you say, he's basically a hired gun at that point and just has to show that he can deliver what's expected of him. As I said earlier, it remains to be seen whether he will transcend that role.

Comment

I like Broderick live, by the way (I've seen him with Megadeth twice now). He's super sharp and looks good on the stage and has good interaction with the crowd. I couldn't stand Drover up there.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
              I like Broderick live, by the way (I've seen him with Megadeth twice now). He's super sharp and looks good on the stage and has good interaction with the crowd. I couldn't stand Drover up there.
              I haven't seen them live in years, but from what I have seen online I think he's probably the best thing for the band at this stage. I thought both the Drover brothers were the worst thing in the history Megadeth.

Comment

The solos are panned slightly off left(Dave) and right so it should be easy hear the difference if you have headphones. I've always liked the inherent contrast of some guy playing something fancy and technical and then Dave just goes 17p15p12 very fast

Comment

Yeah, the contrast is definitely part of what makes it work.

Comment

i don't know i think daves playing is less generic than brodericks, and i think daves leads are hard to play. maybe it's a stylistic difference thing for me but i always hear people playing friedmans solos and stuff bur never heard anyone rip out mustaines solos? to me he's always been the star lead player in the band. friedmans shit is a given he is a god, i expect nothing but great from him, i'm most impressed with the underdog holding their ground against the odds. just the fact dave is up there ripping alongside friedman or broderick or poland is a testament to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                      i don't know i think daves playing is less generic than brodericks, and i think daves leads are hard to play. maybe it's a stylistic difference thing for me but i always hear people playing friedmans solos and stuff bur never heard anyone rip out mustaines solos? to me he's always been the star lead player in the band. friedmans shit is a given he is a god, i expect nothing but great from him, i'm most impressed with the underdog holding their ground against the odds. just the fact dave is up there ripping alongside friedman or broderick or poland is a testament to that.
                      I agree for the most part. Though, I think Daves lead playing was less generic 25 years ago. He's repeated the same licks, nearly verbatim, his entire career. It also really didn't lend itself to the path of music the band went on after 1990's Rust In Peace.

Don't get me wrong, he has some great leads on a lot of that earlier material and it's very hard to emulate his style. A lot of people slag him for being sloppy, but to me that raw energy and those slight imperfections really give his leads that aggressive attitude. It's difficult to intentionally incorporate that into your playing as it goes against everything you've typically learned. If he played all the passages he does crystal clear and perfect it would lose a lot of the impact IMO. I'm sure the fact that he was high on elephant tranquilizers during most of the sessions for those early records helped a wee bit too .

Comment

bump

http://shop.ebay.com/dvamp2u/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Nice Jacksons....and a nice Strat.
                        Charvel: Model1, 2 & 5, Surfcaster 12
                        Jackson: DK2, JRS-2, Kelly

Comment

Apparently Jackson used to treat it's top endorsees quite well. That's a lot of fiddles.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                            Man this one here is awesome with all the Megadeth Battle scars... I can't believe he would sell this? http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Kelly-Gu...item4157db7d7f
                            Man, that went for over 7k! If you're a big Marty Megadeth-era fan, that's the one guit tot get, I guess!

The Jackson Explorer doesn't look as played, but its rarity expects to fetch a similar price (I think):
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              Apparently Jackson used to treat it's top endorsees quite well. That's a lot of fiddles.
                              Shame the custom shop is not so liberal with their guitars anymore especially with their endorsers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                                When you consider he was endorsed by Jackson for 10 years and that he was one of THE top endorsees of the period, it's not really that many. Better than now, of course! Dave left when they cut him back to one a year because he disbanded Megadeth so he was obviously getting more guitars than Marty was.
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X