Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on Jackson / Charvel alternatives to project...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Jackson / Charvel alternatives to project...

Hey, guys. Love this site. So much eye candy and useful information. I hoping to tap into your collective knowledge...

I've scored a project guitar. A single humbucker HM Strat. Currently in a tired state, but I had one of these in the early 90's and wished I never parted with it so I'm looking forward to having some fun with a full renovation. BUT, when I price it all out - new bridge, pup, fret dress and so on I'd guess it'll be a £400 spend.

That got me wondering if I could maybe sink those funds into a MIJ Jackson / Charvel with a similar single humbucker configuration? Number of frets doesn't bother me. Other than the model 2, is there anything else I could be looking at?

Cheers!
    http://www.mattdixon.co.uk/

£400?

For that kind of money you'd might as well hunt down a used single hum Charvel USA Pro-Mod
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I didn't realise there'd been a single humbucker Pro-Mod. That probably says as much about the rarity of upscale Jacksons / Charvels here in the UK as it does about my research! Thanks for the input. I'll keep an eye out and hope something comes along while I can still resist pulling the Strat to bits!

Have there been any 1H Jap Jacksons in recent years? Something like a 1H DK2 would be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Vultan View Post
        Have there been any 1H Jap Jacksons in recent years? Something like a 1H DK2 would be ideal.
        Yep, there was a run of 24 DK2le ("limited edition") years ago that came with 1 EMG, licensed floyd, maple neck, snow white body and matching headstock. It was organized by one of the JCF's previous dealers/sponsors. I just sold mine last week here to another forum member. If you're patient, you could track another one down. Here's a pic of mine (or, I should say, my old one).

Comment

*drool*

Maple with white isn't a combo I would have chosen but that looks gorgeous. Thanks for the info, something new to add to my wants list!

Comment

I saw a black PRO series Soloist with 1 humbucker on ebay a few years ago. I should have pulled the trigger but went for something else instead.

That was a badass guitar alright. I dont know how rare they are but I've not seen another since.
            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Model 1, Model 88, Model 5A, or you could go with a Model 1/3 or So-Cal with a 1 hum pickguard.

Models
              The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
              I dont need furniture.
              If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
              If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
              And rock that sucker.

Comment

Brilliant link. Thanks, Tricky!

Comment

You could also try and score an old BC Rich gunslinger retro?
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

I have no experience with BC Rich. I do remember that there was a period where they were renowned for poor build quality and that's kind of prejudiced me against them. Gunslinger certainly fits the bill though, and I do love a slanted humbucker!

This is good stuff, lads. The wider I cast my net, the better I excuse I have to spend..! Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      £400?

For that kind of money you'd might as well hunt down a used single hum Charvel USA Pro-Mod
                      I have one I'd sell, but I'd need more than £400 for it.

I didn't realise there'd been a single humbucker Pro-Mod.
                      They were limited editions.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Maybe one of these.
                        Models
                        The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                        I dont need furniture.
                        If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                        If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                        And rock that sucker.

Comment

I have no experience with BC Rich. I do remember that there was a period where they were renowned for poor build quality and that's kind of prejudiced me against them. Gunslinger certainly fits the bill though, and I do love a slanted humbucker!

This is good stuff, lads. The wider I cast my net, the better I excuse I have to spend..! Haha!
                          I know what you mean. The handcrafted guitars are very good though, although expensive. I know a few people around here have 'slinger retros and from what I can tell they are all pleased. They did go through a change (very) recently where the newer ones are made with cheaper hardware & wood. That's why I specified old. One from last year would be perfectly fine.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            Heh, and I'd want to pay less to offset the insane duty and taxes I'd have to pay to get it into rip-off Britain!

That Carvin looks sweet, Tricky. Though I suspect the chances of finding one of those in the UK would be slim.

I must say the Gunslinger Retro is tempting though. Dig those colours. The price is keen too - I can snag a new one for around £350 - though perhaps that's explained by the changes you refer to, Grim. I appreciate the extra info and that will probably stop me from pulling the trigger on a new model. Much more fun to chase one down in the wild anyway..!

Not sure if this place is good for my health. How did I go from having a project to fiddle about with over the next few months to wearing my hunter's hat and getting all psyched about a new purchase in a matter of days?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              True, you won't find one THAT cheap, but I meant it in a sense, that when you spend £400 to try and revitalize an old worn out parts mutt, a newer US Pro-mod isn't far away

I've got a Made in Korea NJ Warlock, and that's a mighty fine guitar
                              Though I heard the Made in indonesia can produce a few lemons
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X