Jackson's fretboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson's fretboards

Are freaking amazing. They are the best playing of any guitar I have ever tried. What's there secret?

I got my first Jackson a couple years ago (not USA but will have one soon) and the neck is unbelievable. So fluid and easy to play. Partly the low action (which is lower than any other I've tried and still playable) and partly I guess the neck profile/thickness. I am definitely a Jackson fan now. Oh and they sound great too.

When I first started playing guitar in 1986 my parents took me to Reliable Music in Charlotte NC. I was testing out various guitars and some guy was playing a black Jackson Rhoads with full scallop. I was intrigued but it was out of my parent's price range for me and I ended up walking out with a Kramer Striker. Since then I've been through various guitars from Gibson, Aria Pro, to PRS and now ended up back at the beginning with Jackson. What took me so long? :-)
    2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
    Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

The compound radius really makes them very playable.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

The sharkfins. They make the guitars fucking sweet.

But really, I agree with you, no other necks are better for metal.
      SACRILEGE

Guitars: Jackson King V, Jackson Kelly, Jackson DXMG, Jackson DK2M, Squier Stratocaster MIJ '85 and B.C Rich Whitelock
      Amps: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Marshall Valvestate 8100 and Peavey Windsor halfstacks.

Comment

GT is dead on.

I remember Reliable Music.
        Bought some effects there.

Also earned five bucks showing another customer how to play "Hell's Bells"!

Comment

They're(DK2) the closest thing I could find to an old model series charvel neck. Love them to death.

Comment

i LOVE my DK2T's neck.

IMO its the compound radius and the jumbo frets. They're just the right size!
            Sam

Comment

I actually really like Jackson's frets... They are big, but not too big, and I like smaller frets.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Along with a compound radius, and I think a wide fret wire
                with a nice gradual round crown plays faster and smoother
                than a pyramid thin crown.
                Models
                The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                I dont need furniture.
                If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                And rock that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                  I actually really like Jackson's frets... They are big, but not too big, and I like smaller frets.
                  Amen to that. The one thing that bugged me about my Les Paul after switching to Jacksons was the board dragging under my fingers. Didn't have a problem in my pre-Jackson days

But what really makes Jackson's fretboards so much better - they're not made of shit-and-hooker-scab composite like *some* companies'
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And of course the shark fin inlays have a look like no other.
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      Back when I was first starting out playing this is honestly the reason I got a Jackson. Loved the inlays. Later I learned how smart of a purchase that beat up old DXMG was. It still plays better than many more expensive Ibbys and ESPs I've played.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        Unless you count Rickenbacker, who had them first :P

And then Hondo and Aria when they made their Jackson-ish models.

And then Ibenhad's "shark tooth" inlays.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

for me its the slim, rounded C shape (never liked the flat D of the Wizard necks for some irrational reasons), big frets, conical fretboard radius plus the rolled fretboard edges. Makes you instantly feel at home.

Comment

Working...
                          X