Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Jackson guitar for sustain?

Hey guys

I love Jacksons, and I love strong sustain.

I tried a rather old, second hand RR5 in Denmark Street the other week. I fell in love with it (but cant afford it).

The sustain was really good. It got me wondering, what is the best Jackson guitar for sustain?

I understand a good neck through construction leads to better sustain.

I'd figure the bigger the body, maybe a Kelly or something. A floyd wouldn't help

Comment

Are you guys serious? A bolt on with a Floyd can sustain longer than a neck through with a stop bar. That's not all that matters in sustain. Size also has nothing to do with it, a Steinberger GL2 can be HUGE compared to a Gibson Explorer. I can't imagine there isn't a guitar made today by a legit maker that doesn't sustain long enough to give you what you need, maybe 8 measures or so in a song. I mean, sheesh, sustain includes the following besides body design: pickups, string gauge/brand, playing style, woods (fingerboard and body), effects, amps, volume level, and most of all: YOUR OWN DAMN FINGERS.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I would think the Jacksons with the sustainer, like a PC1, would have extra, built-in, mega, 4 hour erection-like sustain.
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
          I would think the Jacksons with the sustainer, like a PC1, would have extra, built-in, mega, 4 hour erection-like sustain.
          My DK2S will sustain a note until the battery dies--which should be about 20 hours at a minumum.

Comment

Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
              Are you guys serious? A bolt on with a Floyd can sustain longer than a neck through with a stop bar. That's not all that matters in sustain. Size also has nothing to do with it, a Steinberger GL2 can be HUGE compared to a Gibson Explorer. I can't imagine there isn't a guitar made today by a legit maker that doesn't sustain long enough to give you what you need, maybe 8 measures or so in a song. I mean, sheesh, sustain includes the following besides body design: pickups, string gauge/brand, playing style, woods (fingerboard and body), effects, amps, volume level, and most of all: YOUR OWN DAMN FINGERS.
              One of my favorite things to do, stand in front of an amp and wiggle the hell out of a note, sounds fantastic. Been doing a lot of that the last couple of days tuning in my noise gate.
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                No, I'm not serious, hence why I said "I'd figure."

The only time when sustain really tickled my ears is when I was jamming with my 5A, hit a note, bent as far as I could, and held it there for a minute before I had to let go.

Comment

I meant, are you serious by not knowing what produces sustain. It's not about body size or bridge design. It's about so many factors weighing in combined with eachother. That's what makes a guitar do whatever characteristic you want to analyze. I thought we went over this before...
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Oh...and I guess next you're going to tell me that if I buy a Zakk Wylde LP, a Zakk Wylde JCM800, a Zakk Wylde OD, a Zakk Wylde Wah and a Zakk Wylde Chorus, I'm not automatically going to sound like Zakk Wylde either?

Comment

nope, you'll sound like tiny tim!!!
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                        Oh...and I guess next you're going to tell me that if I buy a Zakk Wylde LP, a Zakk Wylde JCM800, a Zakk Wylde OD, a Zakk Wylde Wah and a Zakk Wylde Chorus, I'm not automatically going to sound like Zakk Wylde either?
                        Just as long as you don't SMELL like Zakk Wylde. LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X