Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the preference for recessed vs. non-recessed trem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the preference for recessed vs. non-recessed trem?

Just curious. My old 80's Kramer has a non-recessed Floyd, while all of my Jacksons with trem are recessed. Honestly, I don't really have a preference.

So what makes the difference for you guys?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

neck angle maybe? I'm a les paul player, and the neck angle on my charvel model 6 is pretty similar, standart soloist don't feature that angle.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Vial View Post
      neck angle maybe? I'm a les paul player, and the neck angle on my charvel model 6 is pretty similar, standart soloist don't feature that angle.
      +1. The neck is tilted back more on the non-recessed models, and it puts the trem higher off the body. Either is fine with me, but I do tend to prefer non-recessed.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you developed your picking technique on a low profile type of bridge like a Fender Strat chances are you'll prefer a trem route. I've managed to adjust somewhat, but my hand still tends to rub against the strings (and make a noise) when I pick on a non-recessed FR. I palm mute the strings I'm not playing and don't want to change my technique after all these years.

Comment

I have played both for years, and I highly prefer recessed trems. I can play either, but I am way more comfortable on a recessed floyd.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Personally non-recessed is more comfortable to me.

Comment

I'm good either way. It's easier for me to swap from a non-recessed trem to a tuneomatic since the string height and neck angle are the same, but really it's no biggie for me either way.

I'd be ok with a pullup route behind the trem on my SoCal, though. I mean, trems aren't just for diving anymore.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I go either way.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I prefer non-recessed mainly for the extra depth between the strings and the body. It 'feels' more like a TOM style bridge. I can play either and have guitars with both types however.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

My first guitar was a hardtail, so i am used to the strings being closer to the body and the straight neck (not tilted back), so i am more comfortable with recessed. With a TOM or non-recessed trem, it feels like the strings are on a mountain with regards to the body, not bad just not used to it

Comment

I don't have a preference. The two guitars I've been wailing away on the most at home lately are the Sully JS-0002 and Charvel 550XL - both non-recessed. The guitars I play out most with are my US Fusion & Fusion Plus - both recessed. Neither seems to affect my playing, it's not like I play a particularly precise style. More of a hack & hope style, really

One odd thing I've noticed though. When playing the lower strings on a non-recessed trem, I seem to wrap the spare fingers of my picking hand under that high E. Don't know why.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

i am a nonrecessed person .. i feel i can get the action better, i also feel like the guitar just has a little more umph to it ... plus i think it just looks better ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          Neither seems to affect my playing, it's not like I play a particularly precise style. More of a hack & hope style, really
                          Same here!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            +1. The neck is tilted back more on the non-recessed models, and it puts the trem higher off the body. Either is fine with me, but I do tend to prefer non-recessed.
                            +1

Comment

Non-recessed

Comment

Working...
                              X