Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of bare wood Soloist necks

Hey guys

I am going to refinish my 1990 Soloist Pro and was thinking of removing the finish from the neck hoping to find some hidden birdseye/flame maple. My friend who will be helping me do this just did the same with his guitar (LTD beginner guitar) and he found a nice amount of birdseye underneath! Anyway, could you guys post pics of Soloists without paint on the necks? I'd like to see how it will look.

And while we're at it, which do you like? Paint or no paint?

Thanks

You're brave. Wonder if soloists have got a scarf neck joint. Don't think so on my Sl3 as it would show through the paint. The neck through does slightly shadow if you hold it up to the light. I like paint, but they do make the necks thicker. Is a lot of paint of them.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I don't know if you meant any bare necks, or ones that used to have paint on them. This one came bare from the custom shop, so it never had paint.

In answer to your question, I like both bare and painted necks. My first 5 or so Jacksons were all bolt on necks, so I got used to that. Over the years I have gotten rid of most of the bolt-ons and now have mostly neckthrough. I have gotten used to the painted necks, but I still prefer the bare wood. But not enough to consider sanding down. But if I ever get another custom shop, it will be an unpainted neckthrough.

Here's the front:

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
        Wonder if soloists have got a scarf neck joint. Don't think so on my Sl3 as it would show through the paint. The neck through does slightly shadow if you hold it up to the light.
        They do have scarf joints. You won't see it under the paint and clear coat unless it's got a trans finish.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here ya go... this was a pearl white guitar at one time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	m5IMG_0546sm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	2445514 Click image for larger version

Name:	m5IMG_0547sm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	2445515

Click image for larger version

Name:	m5IMG_0548sm.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2445516
          -Rick

Comment

thats a pretty cool look

Comment

I like painted necks. I have a Trans purple SL2H with an oiled neck that I am still not quite able to bond with. most players love oiled necks, but I just prefer painted.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
              X