Jackson neck real or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson neck real or not?

I have this neck on ebay and I have been told it's a fake. What do you guys think? It plays really well and looks like a quality neck. I bought it used so I can't say for sure if Jackson made it or not.

Thanks

I'm no expert but looking at the dot spacings looks like its real to me. I've been looking at aftermarket 'Jackson' necks for a while. they all the cheap ones come with a Floyd locking nut recess. As that one doesn't have one, I'd definately say its real, or at least a special order arftermarket neck that is better than the real thing, so I wouldn't worry.

Looks like it could be a JS1 neck to me, some of these had wide 12th fret dot spacings and some were like yours with the Charvel/Jackson spacings, but really it could be from a lot of models with a vintage trem or tom bridge. Take the truss rod cover off. If the Truss rod nut is enlongated brass hex head, then its defo a Jackson as aftermarket necks don't have them.

Personally, I'd be wishing it was a Warmoth as they are better.

Edit: If that was mine, I'd stick a yellow stained 0.6mm quilted maple veneer over it and reapply the waterslide and give it some polyurethane!
    Last edited by ginsambo; 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Thank you Ginsambo! As a matter of fact this was replaced with a Warmoth neck lol. The Warmoth is definitely an improvement, but this neck is pretty damned nice too. I may pull it off ebay and make another axe out of it. Thank you for your input!

What replaced it.....

Comment

How ironic, co-incidental..weird...I'm looking to get a non reverse Jackson dot inlay 22 fret neck to put some quilted maple over the headstock and put a charvel waterslide on it for a Charvel Star copy.

I scored seven sheets of 15cmx30cmx0.6mm quilted maple for £2 delivered a few days ago....bargain! Got the flame idea from my SL3.

Looking at that and some other natural necks with Jackson Logos on here, it looks rather nice just....well left natural. The quilt/flaming on that Warmoth is really nice. Still a Jackson neck and £2 is cheaper than a custom order Warmoth I reckon!

I'd have that Jackson neck off you if it wasn't a reverse. Far too modern looking for me.

Was that neck from a mutt then or did yer put the warmoth neck in the original guitar?

Its a pretty good fake if it is one, who said it was fake? An ebayer? Probably just testing the water and your reaction. From a recent post on here, it could be a 98-2001 Made in INdia X series neck also I reckon?

Damn, look at the flame on that one....
        Last edited by ginsambo; 07-30-2011, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Thats funny. Check out the whole guitar! Its a KNE Body, my tribute to Chris Holmes of WASP. Yeah an Ebayer said it was fake. I bought the neck off of Ebay myself so I have no idea of it's origin. It does play above average though. The Warmoth has an ebony board and stainless frets so its a pretty good upgrade :-)

Comment

OK, You're really freaking me out now!

My only guess there must of been a bit of worldwide false paternity going on a few years ago or something.. I think my parents were in and around New York when I was conceived?

I'm trying for the pointy Charvel dot inlays neck for my (Chris Holmes) yellow star.

Also doing a Budweiser graphic print on a two tone red and white body - have a no inlay reverse fender headstock for that one on order with Warmoth. Best thing is the printers can print it for £35...then I just need to clearcoat it. Only mistake was not ordering with a 2 1/4" neck pocket with Mitch. And I think that 1/16" of an inch is a dead giveaway for purists! Still I use the body as a template now to make another MDF or Acrylic template of my own and make up a couple with the pukka neck pocket, or I could swap the Warmoth neck for a new one, as resale over here for Warmoth necks is much the same as brand new with shipping...

What paint code / paint did you use for the yellow star?

Edit: did Warmoth do a 2 and 1/4" neck heel for you then?
            Last edited by ginsambo; 07-30-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

LOL. Thats cool! I believe my Warmoth is 2 3/16" and the body just may be 2 1/4". The Jackson neck was super tight and the Warmoth isnt tight, but it doesnt flop around either.(there is lots of paint on there that could make up for that 16" of an inch lol) The paint code I believe was PPG sunshine yellow. I went to the auto body supply and picked it out by eye. I think its dead on at least going by pics. I wanna see your axes when you're done!!!
              Last edited by Powerglide350; 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Well I'm no purist as you can tell - I couldn't tell that Warmoth neck was 2 and 3/16" if it is..

What I would say is that fitting a 2 and a 1/4" neck into a 2 and 3/16" pocket just won't go. It won't happen - I've tryed with my KNE star bodies. So if you're 100% sure you didn't order a 2 1/4" neck pocket with KNE (They don't do them as standard) then that Jackson neck probably is off a Made in India X series circa 1998-2001 I reckon as I think they were the only Jacksons to have 2 3/16" neck pockets apparently....

Sunshine yellow got it! See how I get on. Will put some pics up in a few months (Probably!)

thanks!

Edit: Just a final note, did you fit a stock ABR-1 tune o matic bridge or widen the drill holes? - They holes for the bridge are really small on my bodies, so I'm assuming a post just screws directly into the body? - Dunno, never had a real Les Paul so..

Yeah, looking at it I suppose it does look slightly like a 2 and 3/16" neck heel. You got well lucky on that Jackson neck fitting! Just compared it to the yellow star on the THunderhead site and that looks like it could have 1/32"+ on either side at the 22nd fret, though its debatable. Anyway you fooled me. Maybe that is why that ebay fella thought the Jackson was a fake as it didn't look right? 99.9% of them are 1 and a quarter heel.

Measure the Jackson neck heel, if its nearer 2 and 3/16" that is rare and could fetch you some more $$$$'s on ebay perhaps as someone could in theory, fit it to their strat or something.
                Thanks, again, think you answered my prayers more than I answered yours!
                Last edited by ginsambo; 07-30-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

My Jackson neck is definitely 2 3/16", I just measured it. Hmmm interesting. The KNE body is stock specs except for the tuneomatic setup. This would explain why the Warmoth neck still fit well lol.

I have a Schaller tune o matic on my guitar. I'm pretty sure it is American spacing. I drilled out the body to use the Gibson style brass bushings. You can just screw the adjustment posts right into the body, I dont really trust that method though.

Thanks for the help. It's time to update my ebay listing!

Comment

What, if anything, is stamped on the "Jackson" neck heel?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Powerglide350 View Post
                      My Jackson neck is definitely 2 3/16", I just measured it!
                      SEE! You non-believers! It does exist!

The 2 and 3/16" Jackson neck heel holy grail!

(Been on a goose chase for a 3/16" Jackson neck for a month or more now! )

Must be a 98-01/02 made in india X, possibly JS? Series then I would reckon.

You know, you really can't distinguish between the neck sizes looking at the face of the guitar. You put my mind at rest now as I know I am not parting with the custom Warmoth neck for stupid purist aesthetic reasons that might bug me! Anyway I prefer smaller necks to be honest anyway.

Good luck with the ebay listing!

Comment

It says nothing on the bottom. LOL, I'm really second guessing selling it now!

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
                          What, if anything, is stamped on the "Jackson" neck heel?
                          I honestly reckon it is a genuine Jackson, just a limited period Made in India X series one, before they moved production. There is a myth that these necks featured a 2 and 3/16" neck pocket, which is totally out of whack with 99.9999% of all Jacksons made. Still be interesting to see if it has India stamped on it anywhere. Oh well.

Think the arguments are going to start flying now...what have you done?

Also, I'II chip in, that from my extensive, exhaustive research.......some of the JS series with the closely spaced 12th fret inlays, do have a 2 and 3/16" neck heel - I know because I have quizzed around three hundred and forty two Ebay sellers about it over the last couple of months! (Sorry guys, I wasn't really interested in buying your guitars, even though you cracked out the tape measure for me anyhow - but its for the greater good!)

Edit: Think I will put the Dr Pepper aside for now and leave, as I am getting a little too excited and I'II just end up boring everybody to tears...
                          Last edited by ginsambo; 07-30-2011, 03:31 PM.

Comment

It doesnt say anything on it anywhere

Comment

Looks identical to it.....

Comment

Working...
                              X