No announcement yet.

Jackson's new X series!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @DV8: I forgot to mention that these guitars come with the Dunlop locking strap buttons. They had the other parts (the ones that go on the strap side) in the box with the guitar. I prefer Schaller, but still... not too bad for this type of guitar IMO.

In regard to the logo, I may be totally seeing things (hell.. I probably am lol) but I took a shot of the KVXT headstock side by side with my KV Pro. To me the KVXT logo looks smaller. Not a big deal or anything.. but something I noticed right away. Something just didn't look right to me. Anyway here's a shot of the side by side with the KV Pro:

- Adam

Comment

• Originally posted by adoxtater View Post
      In regard to the logo, I may be totally seeing things (hell.. I probably am lol) but I took a shot of the KVXT headstock side by side with my KV Pro. To me the KVXT logo looks smaller. Not a big deal or anything.. but something I noticed right away. Something just didn't look right to me. Anyway here's a shot of the side by side with the KV Pro:

Is the KVXT headstock a little bigger, or is it just a camera illusion? Weird! :think:

Thanks a lot for sharing bro, most likely I'll pick up one or two down the road...
      -Metal wouldn't be the same without Pointy guitars-

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkkWarriorr View Post
        Is the KVXT headstock a little bigger, or is it just a camera illusion? Weird! :think:
        I thought the logo looked small too, but in this picture the logo looks the same size, but the headstock on the x series looks huge.

Comment

• I believe that Mustaine model actually does have a smaller headstock. I recall certain Jacksons being like that.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

• Nice to see that these look great. How's it play compared to the USA? I know its a lot to measure up to, but we're living vicariously through you right now.

I'll post when I get my white SLSXMG next month, if it comes next month

Comment

• Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I believe that Mustaine model actually does have a smaller headstock. I recall certain Jacksons being like that.
              I could be totally wrong here, BUT I seem to recall the KV Pro model was an exact copy of Mustaine's #1, and at that time he'd had at least one headstock tip break (and get lost?) and one or two wing breaks. So the headstock is smaller/shorter than normal Jacksons... and the wings are also smaller than a standard King V. Like I said I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case with the KV Pros. Smaller bodies and headstocks.

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
              Nice to see that these look great. How's it play compared to the USA? I know its a lot to measure up to, but we're living vicariously through you right now.

I'll post when I get my white SLSXMG next month, if it comes next month
              No worries! I'm glad to help you live vicariously As far as playability you can certainly tell it's not of USA quality, BUT I really can't stress enough that for the price it's really very good. Out of the box, the KVXTs I received were in playable condition, but needed setups. I have yet to get this done, as I'm on the road right now, but will be home this weekend and will ge them setup. I have some new pickups I need to instal in them as well. I've got a set of EMGs (81/60 or 85), Duncan Distortion and Jazz, and a set of Mustaine sig Duncans.... so I'll be trying a few combinations. The necks look straight and feel solid, so I think I can get the action down to where it needs to be.

All in all it's a guitar I'd recommend to anyone who loves this style guitar if they want to get decent quality without paying the USA cost. You won't get exactly the same thing but it's as close as you'll get with Jackson from what I've seen so far. The last imports I had were the KVX10 (Floyd version. It was decent enough but nothing to write home about compared to the USAs I own. Plus it took a lot of hardware/electronic replacement to get it to the point where I felt good about it. Even then I really disliked the input jack location. At least with the KVXT its on the upper wing where it SHOULD be. AND I don't need to drill a hole through a neck plate to relocate a strap button to fix a massive balance issue. The KVXT has none of these issues, save for the pickups of course). Then I have the GC Shurikan (spelling?) model. Didn't like the inlays so I sold the neck and put a reverse DK2 bound neck on it. Much better looking for the guitar IMO). This is another import which needs pickup replacements, but that was to be expected. The only complaint I have with it is the paint. It's quicksilver I believe, but feels/looks thin and cheap. The KVXT finish looks great. Not a USA, but not bad. I don't feel like if I look at it the wrong way the paint will chip. on the GC model I do.

Anyway, hope this helped a little bit. Best thing to do is try one out, but as I keep saying for the money it think they're worth it. Hopefully they ALL are like that and I didn't just get lucky lol because I want more! My luck the neck one I get will fall apart as soon as I take it out of the box LOL
              - Adam

Comment

• Thanks for verifying the input jack location. I too have a Floyd equipped KVX10 and HATE HATE HATE the input jack. Impossible to sit with.
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

• For sure! Yeah I was glad to see it on the upper horn where it belongs. I think Jackson is doing this now even with their JS series King Vs! I saw a couple on eBay like that and was surprised. Good move on Jackson's part. That's one thing I never understood about Gibson/Epiphone flying Vs... the location of the input jack on the lower wing FACE... wtf?
                  - Adam

Comment

I could be totally wrong here, BUT I seem to recall the KV Pro model was an exact copy of Mustaine's #1, and at that time he'd had at least one headstock tip break (and get lost?) and one or two wing breaks. So the headstock is smaller/shorter than normal Jacksons... and the wings are also smaller than a standard King V. Like I said I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case with the KV Pros. Smaller bodies and headstocks.
                    Interesting. I never knew about the smaller bodies...
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

• Yessir! I will see if I can source that info to verify, but yeah I guess at the time his guitar had been treated badly enough where it had to be sanded down a little to, shall we say, even it out haha. I will see if I can find the source for that info though
                      - Adam

Comment

I didn't know about the body size (would like to hear more about it) but I think (and I could be wrong) that the KV Pro was a copy of Mustaine's black Megadeth logo custom. His silver (aka #1) custom KV has a regular US size headstock.

Here is a few high res photos of it: ("save target as", pages 22-25)
                        http://www.megadeth.com/guitar_sale/guitars_of_dave_mustaine.ppt
                        Last edited by DV8; 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• yeah you're probably right I could be talking about the "logo" guitar. That was also reprinted silver at some point wasn't it? That may be where I'm getting confused. I'm looking for more info on the body size. Worse comes to worse when I get back to Las Vegas on Thursday night I can measure the body and also measure a KV2 body.
                          - Adam

Comment

• Ok I've done a little digging but am unable to find the original article I saw this info in, BUT I found reference to it in a couple places at the site below. References to size differences I mean..

The specs of the KV Pros were pretty similar to Dave's Customs, though there were some noticable differences including a swapped bridge pickup, shorter headstock and a slighty different body shape.

Afterwards the guitar must have suffered a headstock repair cause the logo was replaced and the headstock got considerably shorter for the RIP tour.
                            - Adam

Comment

yeah you're probably right I could be talking about the "logo" guitar. That was also reprinted silver at some point wasn't it?
                              The Jury is still out on that one. My IQ isn't high enough to understand why there is so many stories about that guitar. The only reason I can think of is to get people talking, just like we're doing it now LOL.
                              Another funny detail about the no.1 / Logo KV is the price of it. If you go by the official auction info "it was GIVEN to Dave by Jackson", if you go by the article on it in GW Magazine, it was $3000 and if you go by the offical Jackson work order it was something like $1300 IIRC. Now, try to process that kind of info and your brain will take a shit.

Comment

• Originally posted by DV8 View Post
                                If you go by the official auction info "it was GIVEN to Dave by Jackson", if you go by the article on it in GW Magazine, it was $3000 and if you go by the offical Jackson work order it was something like $1300 IIRC. Now, try to process that kind of info and your brain will take a shit.
                                With that info, I would infer that $3000 was the value, $1300 was on the work order as the artist price, and when finished, Jackson did GIVE the guitar to Dave.
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X