Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Kelly model?

Hi all,

I want to buy a Jackson Kelly and I asked myself what is the "best" kelly model? Playablity, sound, fretboard ... perhaps we can do a top ten?

Regards,
    Oliver
    KE1
    35.71%
    KE2
    17.86%
    KE3/KE5FR
    3.57%
    Kelly XLR
    7.14%
    Kelly XL
    3.57%
    Kelly Std
    0.00%
    Kelly Pro
    14.29%
    JS30KE
    3.57%
    KE2T
    7.14%
    KE1F
    7.14%

None of those mini-mes, the old ones with the big and medium bodies are the best.........

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2 View Post
      None of those mini-mes, the old ones with the big and medium bodies are the best.........

what models do you mean exactly?

Comment

He's talking about the original Kelly models that were of larger size... the King Kelly and the medium size Kelly.
        Marty Friedman had them downsized to the smaller production size we know today.
        Of the production models, do you like a bolt-on neck or neck-thru body construction?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          He's talking about the original Kelly models that were of larger size... the King Kelly and the medium size Kelly.
          Marty Friedman had them downsized to the smaller production size we know today.
          Of the production models, do you like a bolt-on neck or neck-thru body construction?
          Very interesting fact, never heared about the king size :-) whats the exact model name king kelly? There where not mentioned at the german wikipedia article. Any additional informations or complete list of kellys?

I'd like to buy a kelly in black, neck-thru construction appreciated and perhaps emg's installed but this is not a must. I think the KE2 is quite what I want but in germany it's to expensive, convertet from € into US$ it's 3500 bucks, halleluja.

So I need a compromise.

Comment

Then go for a KE5FR, good guitars.

Comment

Kelly Professional would be a good bet too, though harder to come by than a 5FR.
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

The Ke2 is a very good production guitar, very few Ke1's had floyds.... I'd stay away from the JS30, the Ke3's were bolt on. I haven't tried the Ke5's yet, but have heard positive feedback about them.

If the cost of a Ke2 is more than you wanting to spend, you would have a very hard time finding a King kelly in your price range.....

Cheers, and Kelly's are the shit!!!!!
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

King Kelly. If Jackson will still make them that is in my top three custom shop wants.
                  In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                    King Kelly. If Jackson will still make them that is in my top three custom shop wants.
                    The custom shop will, and the size of the body is much preffered by many players. Many people complain of 'neck dive' issues with the smaller body size, this has never been an issue for me though..... I LOVE all kelly's ~ but am 'snobbish' about the Ke1's
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I always loved the XLR's that I've owned. Are they the best? Well the no neckplate was a feature I loved along with the reverse headstock and binding. Super thin neck and straight forward control layout makes it the best for me. Why did I get rid of em? I'm a dumbass ha ha

Comment

The originals were 22 fret and the larger body.By far the ones to get IMO.
                        This is an 85# J0604 the first transparent finished Kelly custom.
                        Last edited by straycat; 08-14-2011, 02:27 AM.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I like the current kellys. Explorer-type guitars are a bit massive and can feel "unbalanced" to some playing them.

Comment

Thanx so far for the answers!

I'm a little bit confused about the king kelly, it seems impossible to get one of them. Only ca. 50 made, right? (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/104...-Kelly-arrives)

But the KE1 is on ebay but also way to expensive:

So finally, I will wait until there is a chance to get a KE2.

Regards,
                            Oliver
                            --
                            Discover, share and connect with culture, creativity, sound, images and people.
                            Last edited by olli666; 09-02-2011, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X