strings and steel picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strings and steel picks

Hey guys...I got a two part question for you. First question is...does anyone know what brand/type of strings Jackson puts on their USA models at the factory? I know they're 9 gauge....but I don't know what type. My guess is, they're not D'Addario...only because I play D'Addario, primarily...and they don't have that bright sound that i love about those strings...at least I don't think they do. Of course, mine (SL 2H) may have been sitting in a warehouse for a while...and I would imagine that can't be good for any set of strings.

The second part of my question is in regards to steel picks (and how they affect certain strings). I was at GC the other day, and they actually had some steel pics in stock ('Ice Picks')...I had to try them out, as I've never used them before. Wouldn't you know it...but I really liked the feel and sound of them. That said, my concern is that these picks are pretty rough on standard guitar strings....particularly 9 gauge strings. I say that because I noticed, especially, on the D and A strings, they wore down considerably in the area where I'm picking. So I guess what I'd like to know is, does anyone use these picks..and if so, what are your thoughts on how they affect (not the sound), but the life of the strings. I know there are a few well known guitarists who use these picks...but I doubt they're worried about the effect on the strings....God knows they can afford new strings...probably every time they pick up the guitar

I appreciate your comments and feedback.

Thanks...I look forward to reading your replies!

Todd
    Todd M

I started using steel picks at one point but gave them up pretty quickly because they would chew through strings like nobody's business. The sound is a matter of taste, it is brighter with more attack but if you play really hard like i do, it can be pretty brutal on strings. Your standard .9s wouldn't last long, so i would consider using elevator cables like Phil Collen, who also plays with steel picks.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I guess that answers my question. I saw that the strings were getting chewed up right away..particularly the D and A strings. I guess if I were using 13 gauge strings that wouldn't be as much of a problem...but as much as I'm aware that thicker strings help with tone, I just play better with lower gauge strings. Too bad...cause I like the sound of the steel picks.
      I did notice that the D'Addarios that I use on most of my guitars...they didn't seem to wear as quickly as whatever strings were stock on the Soloist. I'm also wondering if coated strings would withstand the steel picks better...of course, I almost think that this would be counterproductive. Perhaps they would last a little longer...but those strings just sound noticeably duller than standard, non-coated strings. So while I might get a brighter sound with the steel picks...the dullness of the coated strings would make it like I'm not using steel...in other words....might as well use plastic picks.

Oh well...thanks for the reply.
      Todd M

Comment

Factory strings should be D'Addario, unless they changed. Maybe they're using Fender strings now?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You play better on lower gauage strings because that's what you're used to. String up with some .13s for a few months and you'll eventually get used to that too. Sure it'll be hard and painful in the beginning hehe but still... This thread has given me some thoughts...
          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

The guy who owned the Ibanez Prestige RG1570 before me used steel picks, said he went through a pack a week, depending on his playing. He also had to replace his pickups because they'd just take gouges out of them, and I'd believe it, there's a bunch of chips by the end of the fretboard definitely caused by those picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
              You play better on lower gauage strings because that's what you're used to. String up with some .13s for a few months and you'll eventually get used to that too. Sure it'll be hard and painful in the beginning hehe but still... This thread has given me some thoughts...
              I been playing for 25 years man...believe me...I know what works for me. For many years, I played 10s...because they sounded better through a loud amp than the 9s. But it's been a while since I played in a band...so being a couch slinger, playing through a little pocket pod most of the time...9s are fine..and easier to play. If/when I start jamming again, I'll definitely go back to 10s...but that's about as far as I'll go. I might not even go that far...now that hybrid packs are available. It's the lower strings that need to be a little heavier anyway...at least for me. Of course, that's just my opinion. That said...all these guys nowadays, playing these heavy as hell strings...they're either drop tuning, and string tension is much less....or they're just animals. Phil Collen playing 13s in standard tuning....that guy's been doing too much of that kick boxing

Mat...I could definitely see these picks ripping apart the pickups...I've already scratched mine up a little. Unfortunately, I think that despite the fact that I really like the way these things feel/sound...the cons just outweigh the pros. I really don't want to change strings on my guitars every week....and I could easily see that happening. My trusty 'Max-Grip' Dunlops feel good in my hand, and do the job without ripping apart the strings.

I was just curious if others had tried the steel picks, and whether or not they were having the same problem as me...looks like I'm not the only one. Thanks a lot for the replies guys!
              Todd M

Comment

Try the Dava metal edged picks. They aren't steel, they are nickel/silver the same mix as fret wire. It's a little softer and not as hard on the strings as a steel pick would be. They also have a nicely rounded edge. I'm not huge on them for myself but I have a buddy that uses them pretty much exclusively since trying them.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have one of Warren D's SS picks. When I was in a band I put up with the weekly string changes. Now I'm a couch slinger like you and can't justify that kind of string budget.

I haven't used max-grip picks in decades so not sure how they sound. I used standard 1mm tortex for years. I recently switched to the Dunlap Black Fangs (Ultex Sharps are the same in slightly different gauges). They don't quite get you to steel pick territory, but they are brighter with more attack then tortex.

Comment

Interesting you bring that up. I just found out a couple nights ago that one of the players at my church (who used to play with George Jones) uses a steel pick. He plays a Telecaster and uses D'Addario strings. I'll have to ask him how strings hold up. I didn't specifically ask, but got the feeling he has been using a steel pick for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                    X