Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple body

Hello
    I am considering a maplebodied Dinky but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

It's got a maple neck, ebony fretboard and a FULLY flamed maple body.

Now that sounds real bright. Like real bright.

How bright is it?

And I'd play a lot of thrash metal on it. Whaddaya guys think?

And if someone's got some soundclips of a maple Jackson please share.

Probably a little on the bright side, but it's hard to say exactly how bright since every guitar is different. I think you'll be fine for thrash metal.
    I ordered my Carvin 7-string with a maple body, but it's a neck-thru with a five-piece mahogany/maple neck (three bigger pieces of mahogany with two smaller maple stripes) and it's bright but not overly so. Since the body wings are maple, it's a little on the heavy side, weighing in at about 9 pounds.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Probably a little on the bright side, but it's hard to say exactly how bright since every guitar is different. I think you'll be fine for thrash metal.
      I ordered my Carvin 7-string with a maple body, but it's a neck-thru with a five-piece mahogany/maple neck (three bigger pieces of mahogany with two smaller maple stripes) and it's bright but not overly so. Since the body wings are maple, it's a little on the heavy side, weighing in at about 9 pounds.
      Agreed, Bright and thrash go along well. You're obviously a Mustaine fan.... Does the "Rust In Peace" tone have any lows at all to you?
      I like EL34s.

Comment

Keep in mind the weight too. An all maple body is very heavy. Are you a gigging musician or is this for sitting down with?
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

For some reason figured maples seem to be a bit lighter than straight grained. Ive got a bunch of all maple guitars, the heavier the weight, the brighter it sounds for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
            For some reason figured maples seem to be a bit lighter than straight grained. Ive got a bunch of all maple guitars, the heavier the weight, the brighter it sounds for the most part.
            Because weight = density = brightness
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Going to be doing some maple neck thrus soon and have noticed that Pacific maple is lighter in weight than Eastern (Rock) maple. Something to keep in mind when it comes to weight. I expect it to still be on the heavier side, but it can vary a bit.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                Because weight = density = brightness

Not necessarily. Mahogany is denser than maple and it produces muddy warm tones. On Les Pauls the brightness comes from the maple cap paired with the mahogany giving it warmth. On all-mahogany guitars there's a noticable lack of brightness.

Comment

One thing I've noticed with maple guitars is that it all depends on the pickups. I had a B.C. Rich ST-III with a maple body, and stock pickups and didn't like it too too much, tried an EMG in there for kicks and I didn't like it either, traded it for a Charvel

My buddy however has 2 maple guitars, a Steinberger with an EMG Select in the bridge, and a Hamer with something DiMarzio in the bridge, I forget to be honest. Either way, his 2 maple guitars sound incredible for rhythms. A lot of crunch and doom coming from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
                    Not necessarily. Mahogany is denser than maple and it produces muddy warm tones. On Les Pauls the brightness comes from the maple cap paired with the mahogany giving it warmth. On all-mahogany guitars there's a noticable lack of brightness.
                    +1, Ive got a brazilian rosewood schecter strat, it weighs a ton, probably heavier than 70's lesters, and it surprisingly warm and boomy sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                      It's got a maple neck, ebony fretboard and a FULLY flamed maple
                      Sounds like PCS Flammed Dinky right ?

I got one, and it is not as bright as the specs suggests it.
                      I especially dig its punch on clean rythm (Megadeth's Good Mourning/Black Friday intro for example).
                      If you plan playing old-school thrash metal, this is a right choice.

As a side note, this by far one of the most heaviest guitar I have ever played, a good thick strap is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedisdead View Post
                        Sounds like PCS Flammed Dinky right ?

I got one, and it is not as bright as the specs suggests it.
                        I especially dig its punch on clean rythm (Megadeth's Good Mourning/Black Friday intro for example).
                        If you plan playing old-school thrash metal, this is a right choice.

As a side note, this by far one of the most heaviest guitar I have ever played, a good thick strap is a must.
                        Just the one!
                        The one I'm looking at has EMGs in it. Are they original?
                        You couldn't be a sweetheart and post pics of your guitar?
                        How much does it weigh btw? Preferably in KGs.
                        And it's got a thinner neck than a Soloist neck right?

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                        Agreed, Bright and thrash go along well. You're obviously a Mustaine fan.... Does the "Rust In Peace" tone have any lows at all to you?
                        I'm a huge Mustaine fan!
                        But they never used maple guitars so I'm thinking will my choice of poplar/alder do it or is maple the way to go?

Comment

The one I'm looking at has EMGs in it. Are they original?
                          No. > Check this out. <

You couldn't be a sweetheart and post pics of your guitar?
                          Here you go :

> More here ... <

How much does it weigh btw? Preferably in KGs.
                          It feels like a ton. I'll check how much later (can't do it right now).

And it's got a thinner neck than a Soloist neck right?
                          Theorically not (I may be mistaken) but it feels a little bit thinner than my SL2H glossy-finished neck for sure.

Oh, If you plan buying buying the Pro Music Tools one (and I think you do ), I think you have good chances to lower the price they ask. I got mine for less than half this price and PMT got it for a very long time already.

Comment

Thanks, man!
                            You're the best!
                            Pretty crazy that you swapped the hardware to golden hardware cause that's exactly what I had in mind. A little Dan Spitz influence, ya know?
                            Btw, what tuners are those? Which tuners fit Jackson tuner holes?
                            We'll see what happens with that guitar!

Thanks
                            Last edited by algeriet; 09-17-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Maybe I got a little bit of influence from Spitz guitar yes, actually I always loved transparent black + gold hardware

The tuners are schaller mini locking tuners and they fit perfectly. Its got a schaller floyd too.
                              Before that I tried sperzel tuners and original floyd rose but it didn't fit at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X