Maple body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Not necessarily. Mahogany is denser than maple and it produces muddy warm tones. On Les Pauls the brightness comes from the maple cap paired with the mahogany giving it warmth. On all-mahogany guitars there's a noticable lack of brightness.
    Mahogany is not denser than maple...?
    I like EL34s.

Comment

Density is mass per volume remember, not hardness. Generally Rock Maple is denser than African mahogany. I think this might be becuause of the little pores in the wood, like Sapele, Oroko and Albizia etc. Although you can get some dense mahogany that is denser than rock maple.

I read somewhere that it is more the uniformity of the growth rings that give mahogany its deep resonance. and stability, which is particular handy if you are making a dresser out of it. Its also why UK timber is shite as the growth is unpredictable and sometimes very fast from year to year. But then you probably don't want to make a guitar from redwood.

I think as well as uniformity, a lot also depends on the hardness of the growth rings in other woods.
      Last edited by ginsambo; 09-18-2011, 08:35 AM.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

From what I've heard, african mahogany can surpass most maple, but as a general rule, maple is more dense than mahogany. Look it up
        I like EL34s.

Comment

I have an almost all maple flying vee that doesnt sound bright at all. I guess it just depends mostly on pups at this point.
          "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

I tried an ESP LTD M-1000 years ago before I got bitten by the Jackson bug and at the time, those were all maple too. That thing was so damn heavy. I don't think my back could cope with that thing.

Comment

Working...
            X