Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choosing a case for my Jackson

Hey,

I have a Jackson dk2m Bengal that needs a case and I don't know which one to get. I'm thinking about getting a gator polyfoam case because I like the idea of a lightweight guitar case, but don't know if it's tough enough or has a tight fit.

What I want is something that is fairly tough outside and has a tight, soft and secure fit inside, that doesn't let the guitar bounce around. My price is range is around $70.

I just want to know if polyfoam cases are worth it or if I should just save up and get a Jackson hardshell.
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

I have this Road Runner polyfoam case - http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Run...25-i1172595.gc - and it's definitely better than the Jackson hard case that I got with my DK2M back in 2005, although Jackson's newer cases appear to be a completely different design from back then. I've always had good luck with SKB hard cases, and was actually very impressed with the Stagg case my used COW7 was shipped in.
    sigpic

Comment

Can't you still order Jackson cases on their own anymore?
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

@Inazone

you said the polyfoam case you had was better than the Jackson hardshell. Does It have a better fit, softer, more secure?

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM.
          Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
            @Inazone

you said the polyfoam case you had was better than the Jackson hardshell. Does It have a better fit, softer, more secure?
            The Jackson had a better fit in terms of how it was molded inside to fit the DK2M (which it should,) but the plastic shell has warped and the metal trim and latches have never lined up properly. It's not really that different from the OHSCs of my various `90s Jacksons, but wasn't built nearly as well. The Road Runner poly case has a zipper rather than latches, but it's just visibly of better quality.

Do keep in mind that my DK2M was a first-year (2005) model, and they definitely changed case styles at some point since then. FYI, this is the version that does not have the large Jackson logo "engraved" on the case, but rather just on a little oval metal plate.
            sigpic

Comment

I decided to buy a gator abs hard case. It was only about 10 bucks more than their polyfoam and it has locking latches, which I think might be a useful feature.

I ordered it off amazon and its taking kind of long for them to ship. I ordered it 2 days ago and it still didn't ship. Usually amazon is super fast with their shipping, but maybe im just used to them being quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
                I decided to buy a gator abs hard case. It was only about 10 bucks more than their polyfoam and it has locking latches, which I think might be a useful feature.

I ordered it off amazon and its taking kind of long for them to ship. I ordered it 2 days ago and it still didn't ship. Usually amazon is super fast with their shipping, but maybe im just used to them being quick.

I never understood the purpose of cases that lock with a key. lol Like some would be thief would come a long and see it was locked and move on, rather than just grab the whole case (which is the most convenient and ergonomic option actually) and pry it open later. :-)

I sold my PRS I had for 20 years recently and it still had the case keys in the little baggy untouched. There was probably preserved air from the early 90's in that baggie. hehe
                2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
                Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Gator cases are tough as hell. Good choice.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Yeah I guess you have a point with thieves just taking the whole case, but at least the locks would keep friends and little brothers from screwing with my guitar.

By the way (this is off topic) I was thinking of getting dimarzio cliplock straps for my dk2m. I've heard of people having to drill out their strap pin holes and Other modifications I don't wanna do.

Can I used the screws already on the guitar? Anyone have experience with these?

Comment

Just use the schaller style. No drilling, you can use your own screws

Allparts® Music Corporation is the world's leading distributor of guitar and bass parts to retailers, builders, techs, and guitar players.

-Nate
                      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I've never had to drill anything for my ClipLocks. Don't know who you heard that from, but I'd slap a retard sticker on their head.

And yes, you can use the original strap pin screws with the ClipLocks. The ones that come with the strap are a bit weak IMO - the heads chew up easily. But they go in the hole well enough.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Alright, I'll probably pick up a dimarzio cliplock when I get the chance...

Thanks for all the help guys

Comment

Working...
                          X