No announcement yet.

Jacksons must be selling really well at GC... Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely notice a difference in the stuff on the wall even from 5 or 6 years ago. They used to have a modest selection of at least midrange models at most GCs and in the larger stores a few USA selects. They have definitely toned it down. It's not just Jacksons though, high end Ibbys are gone as well as ESPs. Tons of fenders and gibsons though. Even more than before.

Economic downturn played a large role I think.

Also, there is this idea that a good guitar shouldn't cost real money. I don't understand this, I play saxophone and piano as well. Most high school kids playing in band or whatever have a saxophone that costs at least a grand, but if you play guitar you expect to get a quality instrument for 200 bucks? I think this is just because most people who play don't know shit about the instruments and the staff at GC is a sampling of your average guitarists... meaning, they don't know shit either.

Comment

I've bought used Jacksons and Charvels from GC. Never bought any new ones there as they generally don't carry them. The lack of high end Jackson inventory at GC has to do with quality and production numbers according to John Walker. We asked John Walker (head of Jackson marketing a few years back) at the NAMM show why GC doesn't stock USA Jacksons. He told us that the large numbers that GC would want them to produce would mean a compromise in quality which Jackson won't do. Fender, Gibson, etc... are setup to give them the large quantities they want. I've always bought my new Jacksons from our sponsoring dealers here at JCF and occassionally from a small local store who is an authorized Jackson dealer.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        ^^^ damn that's a helluva quilt on there!
        It was an amazingly beautiful Transparent Solar... the best I've probably ever seen. The neck was way too fat though. 3 piece mahogany neck, mahogany body with that quit cap... It was a NAMM guitar sometime in the mid 90's. I sold it to someone here. It had the thickest neck Jackson has probably ever produced.
        Last edited by xenophobe; 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

GC is the ultimate when it comes to corporate guitar selling. They are just a big box store these days. It's sad really.
          I purchased my first Jackson in 1987 and it was not an easy task back then. However GC helped me
          find what I wanted even though they didn't have it in their store. Times have changed.

Comment

I think it makes having a Jackson that much cooler if it's not treated like such a commodity - why else would Fender buy a company like Jackson if not for such a unique/niche brand identity.

Personally I'd rather see Jackson exit the cheepo market and stick with the mid-high end stuff anyway. Kind of a bummer when the headstock looks quite similar on the $200 guitar as the $2000 guitar.

Comment

Personally I'd rather see Jackson exit the cheepo market and stick with the mid-high end stuff anyway. Kind of a bummer when the headstock looks quite similar on the $200 guitar as the $2000 guitar
              That's a great way to get the beginner interested in the brand.:think:

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                That's a great way to get the beginner interested in the brand.:think:
                Maybe Gibson got this right is all I'm saying, by rebranding their lower end imports as Epiphone and maintaining the high end Gibson prestige for themselves. Same as Lexus - it might be too expensive to be your first car, and yet it is remarkably similar to a much cheaper Toyota. I think we'd agree the "Jackson" badge is pretty special to folks on this forum, "made in the USA" even better, and that "Custom Shop" logo is a big deal.

I hold Jackson in high regard, but a poorly made instrument simply to acheive a price point with the Jackson logo on it devalues that perception somewhat.
                Last edited by canadian bacon; 12-24-2011, 09:03 AM.

Comment

J/C and many others tried this in the 80's and 90's and failed. Jackson tried this by having charvel as the import brand. Many of us love the charvel japanese imports and then came the korean models. It hurt the name so much that by the 94 they started putting jackson on the imports.
                  Fender and Gibson bought other companies made them copies and FORCED retailers to carry them or lose their dealership on the high end guitars. Why do you think GC and sam ash are half gibson and fender. You have to buy a lot of those guitars to have a dealership too. Now day since you can't find any of these new models in the stores you have to attach them to something people recognize and respect. I have only been hearing good things about the new charvels and Jacksons so I doubt it will hurt the brand. I also would never want the guitars that I like to become a brand that can put out shit and jack up the prices just for the name.

Comment

I can't speak for other stores. But my GC has a PC1 and it is amazing. We have the x series and the JS series. Maybe its cuz I work there and promote the hell out of them and point things out to the guitar guys about them as in best fret work in that price range the playability etc. But my store does carry and sell jackson we had a Sl2h a while back too. But yes the buyers and or fender have decided the not stock the USA stuff pasrtly due to demand. Plus if we stock a selection of 2 grand plus jacksons that don't sell as well as a Gibson or PRS that takes up inventory dollars that could be used on lower end variety that will sell and give us the chance to carry more cuz we sell them.

Comment

gil, you are at the aurora/naperville store? I would love to check out the x series ones. Do you know what you have? arlington heights doesn't have them and your old store in vp a guy was supposed to email me if they got any in.

Comment

i think guitar center should stand for general crap

Comment

It depends on the area the store is in. The one local to me has a ton of vintage inventory and a space towards the back of the store where they have the higher end new stuff. You would think they were a major PRS dealer with all the inventory they have there as well.

Comment

Rich yeah I'm at naperville. Actually what I was remembering to be the x series are a proprietary std series. Really nice looking and well made. Celtic cross? Inlays bound necks jt590lp and nice sounding pickups. Great fret work on the ones I've seen so far.
                            Gil

Comment

I've seen the V in that series. Arlington heights still has that one, but I think they sold the other ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X