RR necks and pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR necks and pickups

I played an RR3 and loved the feel of the neck. It had a great profile. As my local shop does not have any RR5s or RR1s, could anyone tell me if they would have the same neck profile as the RR3? I might order an RR5 or RR1 without playing one first as I liked everything about the RR3.

The RR3 neck also had a really nice satin type finish on it. It was almost like an oiled or reliced finish. It felt very nice. I see the RR5 and RR1 do not have this neck finish. Are the painted necks on the RR5 and RR1 as silky smooth as the cheaper RR3?

Do you think the SD pickup combination (TB4, SH2) is dark and evil enough to do modern metal tones through my Mesa DR or are they for a more 80s metal style? Was considering an ESP with EMGs (81/85 or 81/81) or a USA Dinky for the death metal stuff but loved the way the RR3 felt and played. Plus I want a Vee for something different.

Originally posted by enuenu View Post
    I played an RR3 and loved the feel of the neck. It had a great profile. As my local shop does not have any RR5s or RR1s, could anyone tell me if they would have the same neck profile as the RR3? I might order an RR5 or RR1 without playing one first as I liked everything about the RR3.

The RR3 neck also had a really nice satin type finish on it. It was almost like an oiled or reliced finish. It felt very nice. I see the RR5 and RR1 do not have this neck finish. Are the painted necks on the RR5 and RR1 as silky smooth as the cheaper RR3?

Do you think the SD pickup combination (TB4, SH2) is dark and evil enough to do modern metal tones through my Mesa DR or are they for a more 80s metal style? Was considering an ESP with EMGs (81/85 or 81/81) or a USA Dinky for the death metal stuff but loved the way the RR3 felt and played. Plus I want a Vee for something different.
    Not sure about the neck profiles.

Pickups though... the JB/Jazz combo is very versatile. It can do metal, jazz, blues... etc. Will it sound uber heavy? No. But, it will give you a wide range of sounds. It can do metal just fine. That's what Dave Mustaine uses. If you don't like the pups that's an easy change.

Comment

Originally posted by groverj3 View Post
      ..the JB/Jazz combo is very versatile. It can do metal, jazz, blues... etc. Will it sound uber heavy? No.
      So is it EMG (81/81, 81/85, 81/60 or 81x/85x) for Uber heavy tones? Seems to be the standard for this genre??

Comment

there is no standard. Try it through your amp and see if it can get the tones you're after. Try it at gig volume (if that's how you'll be using it); if it doesn't have quite enough gain for you, try it with an OD or dist. box in front of the amp.

Everyone's taste in tone is different and until you've tried the JB/Jazz combo for yourself and worked out what you do and don't like about it, any recommendations we make about what is "best" is just noise.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

the neck profiles are quite different between a RR1 and an RR3, the RR3 is much more rounded and less of a speed neck.... in my RR3 I installed SH6 in Bridge and Neck, sounds great...
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            there is no standard. Try it through your amp and see if it can get the tones you're after. Try it at gig volume (if that's how you'll be using it); if it doesn't have quite enough gain for you, try it with an OD or dist. box in front of the amp.

Everyone's taste in tone is different and until you've tried the JB/Jazz combo for yourself and worked out what you do and don't like about it, any recommendations we make about what is "best" is just noise.
            Yeah I hear you. Only thing is I will not be able to do the experiments you speak of before I buy. It will be all or nothing via an online purchase. Such is the lot of guitarists down under with limited budgets.

I am a guessing though that a RR1 with passive SDs will not have the routings in the body to receive active EMGs if I wanted a change later. I am talking about those super dark evil tones. Can't go wrong with an RR1 I would guess though. I have seen a Custom Shop RR1 with EMG 81x/85x advertised online but it cost around $3.5k. Out of my budget I'm afraid.

Comment

do you have any guitar shops nearby? Can you try some other guitar with JBs locally, so you can at least get a feel for the pickup?
              Hail yesterday

Comment

I have an RR3 and an RR5FR. I don't know how safe it is to assume that the RR5FR has the same neck as the RR5, but I'm gonna assume anyway. Either way, mine have completely different neck profiles. The RR3 feels like my DK2M. The RR5FR has "shoulders" on it that I can feel. I prefer the "shoulders" honestly, fills my hand without being bulky, makes it quite comfortable, especially during some endurance playing. Both necks feel about the same in thickness, with the "shoulders" being the only real difference. The best way I can describe it is, wide and flat, instead of just flat.
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  do you have any guitar shops nearby? Can you try some other guitar with JBs locally, so you can at least get a feel for the pickup?
                  I got a bit of a taste for the EMGs in a Schecter. That was all they had with the EMGs. First impression that the EMGs had a bit more treble and bite, but maybe a bit harsher/fizzier than the JBs in the RR3. The JBs were nice and slightly smoother. The bite of the EMGs might go well with my DR which tends to mushiness at times. When used with really high gain amps the EMGs might give definition and sound harsh at lower gain settings? Just initial thoughts. I think I have a RR on the brain now.

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                  I have an RR3 and an RR5FR. I don't know how safe it is to assume that the RR5FR has the same neck as the RR5, but I'm gonna assume anyway. Either way, mine have completely different neck profiles. The RR3 feels like my DK2M. The RR5FR has "shoulders" on it that I can feel. I prefer the "shoulders" honestly, fills my hand without being bulky, makes it quite comfortable, especially during some endurance playing. Both necks feel about the same in thickness, with the "shoulders" being the only real difference. The best way I can describe it is, wide and flat, instead of just flat.
                  Thanks for that. Sounds like the different neck profiles means I have to track down an RR5FR and an RR1FR and play them. I really liked the RR3FR neck, my little paw fitted nicely around it.

Comment

Working...
                  X