Charvel or Jackson ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel or Jackson ?

Hi guys i am planning to buy a second guitar and cant decide if i should buy a new jackson sl3mg or get a second hand charvel model 5 or 6.I like shredding and want to buy a guitar suitable for it.So what do you think?

I'd say build quality will be about equal, perhaps tipping slightly in the Models favor. It's just going to come down to whether you want EMGs, or a guitar with stock Jackson pickups, that will most likely be swapped.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I would go with a charvel can't beat there incredible stay ability. I have two and love them.

Comment

I much prefer bolt-on, no it's more than a preference, neck thrus are a no-go, but I'd say the two should be comparable all over. Which is why I got my MIJ DK2...to get similar quality and feel to the old Model series. The MIJ Jacksons were the only thing similar at the time, as Charvel hadn't released the MIJ promods at the time. And MIA is also a no-go for me.

So I've got a MIJ Jackson and a MIJ Charvel now...love them and don't regret a thing. If only Charvel would do the Model series again!

Comment

Thanks for the advices. I already have a bolt-on guitar so i want to go with a neck thru this time but the thing is i cant find an old charvel to try and see how it feels to compare it with sl3 , which one's neck is more comfortable,thin etc.Another thing that worries me is those painted necks, i just don't feel comfortable with them.Are there any charvel model 5-6 with natural finish?

Comment

The Model 6 is a fantastic guitar. I have a 550XL as well, but there something special about the Model 6.

No, they don't come in a natural finish. But they come with cool paint jobs.

Comment

I'd go with the Model 6 any day!

Comment

model6, i bought mine new in 88 and its the only import guitar ive kept thru the years.

Comment

The SL3 natural I have played felt pretty much the same as my Model 5 except for the H-S-S vs. H-H. Keep in mind unless you find a closet kept gutiar, any Model series will have had or will likely need at least a little fret work so factor that into cost decisions.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks for the advices guy i think i am going to get a charvel 6 after what you have said What is their worth by the way? I saw one at ebay and it's like 1000 usd or something.

Comment

Yes they can go that high but I would never pay that. I would be looking for $500 and under. Dont jump on the 1st one you find, theyre not super rare. For a grand youre in USA soloist territory.

Comment

Working...
                      X