Refin quandry.. Opinions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refin quandry.. Opinions??

I have this 1993 USA Soloist Custom with the lightning sky graphic http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/110...-Sky?highlight= . I've been toying with the idea of selling or trading it as I like the feel of my 1990 Soloist Pro better. Can't really explain it, just feels better to me so I never play the USA. It's not bad, just slightly different. The neck is a hair thicker, maybe feels kinda stickier while playing, etc.. I'm thinking I'm gonna give the USA one another try though. Here's my thoughts..
    - Strip the neck and oil/satin finish.
    - Maybe shave the back of the neck a hair before finishing to match the Soloist Pro. (May be fine after stripping it)
    - Trade or sell the FR Pro and get a JT590/Schaller

Here's the other problem.. I want a project, maybe to refinish this one. The headstock is obvious, and there's plenty of dings and chips to the wood that are filled with what looks like black nail polish (thick and not smooth). Dings and scratches over the graphic that don't go into the graphic, just the clear. Problem is... I'd like to keep the graphic. Don't know if I could sand down the clear and not hit the graphic. Also don't want to attempt to match the old black on the rest. And, I can't find anywhere to get a new MOP logo (don't want to replace with vinyl). I'm gonna get a MOP veneer and try to cut one myself one of these days.. Soooo... Do I:
    -Sand lightly over graphic, strip everything else, paint rest a nice black, clear and hope for the best??
    -Strip the whole thing and refin how I feel at the moment..
    -Throw in the towel, drink lots of beer, and forget the guitar exists..

What ya think??
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

why not just send it to mike learn for a refin? since he is now a jackson reapir guy, he MAY (i have no idea) be able to get a new head-logo......email him and see what he can do for you!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

What he said.

I advise against shaving the neck. you can never go back. never. when its done, its done. as far as a refin, fine and dandy, but dont shave the neck.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

As magnificent as that would be, don't really have the money to send it to Mike. And for shaving the neck, i think stripping it would probably put me where I'd want it anyway so that's probably not needed anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
          -Throw in the towel, drink lots of beer, and forget the guitar exists..

What ya think??
          This.

If you don't have the money to do the work right, don't do it. What if you start the re-fin, then find you need cash in a hurry? What will be worth more, a stripped SL1 or a nice Soloist Pro? It would kill if you had to sell the Pro.

I say don't do anything until you have the cash to do the job. Then you need to decide how much deeper you want to get $$$'s into this axe. That refin $$$ better make you love it because you won't get your money back out of it.

I think of these things all the time

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
            As magnificent as that would be, don't really have the money to send it to Mike. And for shaving the neck, i think stripping it would probably put me where I'd want it anyway so that's probably not needed anyway.
            IMO, when you add up the amount of money (and time) you're going to spend trying to fix it, it's gonna be pretty damn close to what it'd cost to send it to Mike. Besides, he's got a headstock matching special going on right now.

Sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Man, I was looking for the "jump in both feet, run with scissors, swim right after eating.. etc.." answer. lol. You guys are right on with the voice of reason.

But let me rephrase what I said before. I really can't justify spending the money to send it to Mike. And, I'm looking for another project. I have the money to do a refin. Already have tools, just need paint, etc. Stripping, some body work, and repainting isn't an issue. This all could be a moot point now anyway. I took a closer look tonight for a more honest assessment of the condition and honestly, I don't know if it will be worth trying to save the graphic anyway. There's almost a grid over the whole guitar with dings over the whole guitar except the back of the neck. Both sides of the body and headstock are kinda trashed. Even through the graphic. So I'm gonna leave the finish alone for now and just get it playing its best and see where to go from there. Thanks for the opinions.

Comment

IMO refinishing a guitar that has a graphic on it is dumb, regardless of the shape its in. I would definitely do the neck thing though!
                "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Working...
                X