RR X-series Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR X-series Questions

Hey guys. I'm getting a new guitar in a few weeks and I'm looking HARD at the RRXMG as seen here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jackson-Rhoa...item27c23864b7
    Why is this guitar $700 with EMG's and neck-thru and the damn RR3 is still more? Doesn't make sense to me. I'm not looking in to a RR3 or anything, but I just saw them in my new Musician's Friend and with EMG's it's $800. Also, what are the quality differences (if any) between this RRXMG and the RR5? My friend has an Ivory RR5 that's N.O.S. from his guitar store from 2006 and I can buy it with ZERO play time on it for $700. Which would you guys get? I love them both, but I want a Floyd Rose; on the other hand, I haven't played the new X-series and I know 100% that I love the way the older RR5 feels. ARGH! Thanks for any help guys.
    -Josh
    sigpic
    Just trying to get better than I used to be...

The RR3 and RR5 are made in Japan. The new X series is made in India. You'd have to play them to see which one you like better.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

OK, thanks. I'm also tempted to just get the RR5 in hopes it will be more collectible in a few years. Not that I would sell it, but I want to spend my $700 or so as wisely as possible. Anyone here play the RRX yet? I've read a review on here of a guy that got the KV and like it a lot for the money in compareson with his KV1. Thanks for the reply.
      -Josh
      sigpic

Comment

Is India know for making great guitars?

^ There is your answer.
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

I'll post a pic of whichever I get and my review. Thanks.
          sigpic

Comment

I have a RRXMG and I think it is very good guitar and worth the price I paid. There are few minor cosmetic quality issues, though, and I´m pretty sure that a guitar which has a small paint flaw and unevenly cut truss rod cover would not pass QC at a japanese guitar factory. Anyway, If you want a new neck-thru rhoads with neck bindings, Floyd Rose and EMG´s, then the only other option is RR1 which costs at least three times more than RRXMG. No matter how good quality is on a bolt-on RR3, it is not the same thing, I think.

In fact I like my RRXMG so much that I have a crazy idea to buy another one and get it custom painted and make it look like a front loaded version...
            My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
              Is India know for making great guitars?

^ There is your answer.
              Nimitz, shut up.

The general consensus so far is that the X-series are well worth it at the price they're being sold at. As for the RR5 being more 'collectible' in the future, i wouldn't count on it.
              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Ok, thanks guys. I am also looking at the RR24 with the Floyd Rose, but I'd like to keep the tonal veratility of 2 pickups. Rarely I see some RR1's in great shape on eBay for $1100 so I'll be looking out for those as well. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, but I'm ready for a nice guitar again; it's been a while since I've had one. Thanks again.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zedder View Post
                  In fact I like my RRXMG so much that I have a crazy idea to buy another one and get it custom painted and make it look like a front loaded version...

Dumb question; what's a front loaded verison?
                  sigpic

Comment

The electrons are loaded through the front of the guitar.
                    sigpic
                    Action Jackson

Comment

Front loaded has a pickgaurd with all the wiring behind it. The RR1's are front loaded. Rear loaded would mean a rear routed control cavity.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Oh, duh. Thanks guys lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok, I'm gonna say it.... I've been an USA snob for a while. There's many things that I really like about them!

However, I've owned several RR1's and only 1 RR3... Now, I really reworked the hell out of my RR3. I enjoyed playing it as much as my RR1's and didn't feel hesitant about bringing it out.

The obvious differences are there, ebony vs. rosewood, etc.... BUT, with a little time and a few bucks ~ the RR3 is an excellant guitar that will hold up with anything out there. I've played a few RR5's but never owned one. I need trems
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Thanks Jayster. I want a Floyd too, that's why I'm leaning toward the RRXMG new, or if I'm fortunate enough to find a mid-90's RR Pro at a reasonable price. I'd LOVE an RR1, but I can't see paying the amount they command. I see some occasionally sold on eBay for just over 1k; I can swing that! lol Thanks again. Update with decision and pics coming soon...
                            sigpic

Comment

You need a floyd, so that answers your first question. Ask yourself:
                              1) What can you afford?
                              2) Neckthru or Bolt-on?
                              3) Ebony or rosewood?
                              4) Binding or none?
                              5) OFR or copy?
                              6) Can you afford replacement pickups if applicable?

If I were to answer all of the above, I'd go for a used RR1.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X