SLSMG or SLSXMG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG or SLSXMG?

I am going to get a new guitar and cant decide between SLSMG and SLSXMG. Can anyone tell me which has higher quality? Which one is more worth it?

The latter is built in India. I've not played either guitar. The former is more expensive, so that should tell you something.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The SLSMG is made in japan, has a tune-o-matic-bridge and ebony fingerboard. A high end japanese Jackson guitar.
      The SLSXMG has a Floyd-Rose (Special) Tremolo, rosewood fingerboard and is part of the new X-Series, so it is made in india as wilkinsi has already written.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. So in terms of sound and playability, would SLSMG win over SLSXMG?

Comment

Idk, the SLSMG has a very thin body, almost as much as the Ibanez S series, which I've always loathed for tone.

Comment

I just picked up an SLSXMG for the hell of it. I didnt need it at all, but I got a smokin deal on it so I figured I would try one of these India POS's. In all honesty, its not too bad considering where it was made. Fit and finish is pretty decent, hardware is fine, pickups are EMG's so theyre obviously good, Floyd special is better than a JT580LP. While the rosewood board is dark, its got a lot of grain so its not ultra smooth. Inlay work is surprisingly good. Neck shape is different than most Jackons, more of a hard D shape than a nice soft D shape. The main downfall of this guitar is the fretwork... Theyre on the smaller side of the "jumbo" fret spectrum. Sharp edges galore and the highest 7 frets were lifted on the treble side. They were lifted because when they were machine polishing them, they went against the frets and not with them... this shoved polishing compound under them thus lifting them.

Considering I do my own fretwork, this isnt an issue, especially for what I paid for it. But had I paid $600 for it, Id be pretty unhappy. While I did reseat those frets, I havent had a chance to file the edges down, level and recrown them... after a quick 5 minute set up as is, it plays pretty good and sounds ok too. Would I pay $600 for one? Probably not, but then again I have a bunch of other high end Jackons so I really have no need for one of these. I think theyre good for someone who wants all of those decent features but doesnt have a lot of cash and is willing to sacrifice some quality.

Theyre no MIJ or USA, but theyre decent none the less. Having said all that, if you really need a Floyd and dont mind doing some setup work to get it close to where you want it, go with the SLSXMG. If you dont need a Floyd, go with the SLSMG... Its a much better built guitar; it wont need anything but a light setup out of the box.
            Last edited by RobRR; 01-22-2012, 10:49 PM.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will go with SLSMG.

Comment

For playability i'd strongly recommend try playing both, as they have different neck-specs.
                And if you'll go for an SLSMG, check the guitar for deadspots before you buy it, especially on the b-String around the 15th fret.

Watch my threads:
                http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/120813-SLSMG-Dead-Spots
                http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/976...uality-Binding (Bad workmanship)
                http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/99106-very-noisy-SLSMG-81-85-(Hum-Buzz)

Comment

My slsmg is still a benchmark guitar. It's one of the best I've played period. It's a red flametop and the whole design of the guitar and its build quality puts alot of usa stuff to shame. Just after I got it I played a 15th anniversary PRS that just totally stunk compared!

Comment

Too bad its discontinued. Gotta go with SLSXMG instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kosmosrl View Post
                      Too bad its discontinued.
                      Can anybody PLEASE confirm if this is true? It still on the Jackson website, I'm assuming it's not discontinued? (SLSMG)

I've been going back and forth about this guitar for quite a few years now.
                      I <3 DR Strings.

2007 Jackson KV2
                      2006 Schecter C1 Blackjack
                      Randall RG75G2
                      Line 6 PODxt

Comment

Originally posted by KingVee View Post
                        Can anybody PLEASE confirm if this is true? It still on the Jackson website, I'm assuming it's not discontinued? (SLSMG)

I've been going back and forth about this guitar for quite a few years now.
                        It is...Long & Mcquade sent me an email saying that. The exact email is following:

Hello,

Unfortunately, the Jackson SLSMG are discontinued and no longer available, sorry.

Thanks for emailing us.

Comment

I wouldnt take their word for it

Anyway it doesnt matter, there should be heaps available used or as new old stock, if the SLSMG have been discontinued, it was only very recently

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
                            I wouldnt take their word for it

Anyway it doesnt matter, there should be heaps available used or as new old stock, if the SLSMG have been discontinued, it was only very recently
                            You wont take Canada's largest music instrument stores word for it?
                            Last edited by kosmosrl; 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

All the Japanese Jacksons are discontinued unfortunatley.
                              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                              X