Archtop vs Flat Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archtop vs Flat Top

BATTLE TO THE DEATH! lol, but really Archtop vs Flat top: what wins?

Not sure either is a winner or a loser. Wins at what? Tone? Construction effort? An archtop guitar is always harder to produce than a flat top, which usually means it's more expensive. But there are archtop guitars that sound great, and there are flat tops that sound just as great, so much at stake when it comes to these kinds of things besides body style and construction.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

All things being equal otherwise, I'd have to say based on visual appeal alone, archtop wins hands down.
      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

What is the point of this question? :think:
        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

To open a friendly discussion amongst peers, about guitar preferences.

I personally don't like arch tops. I also predominantly play Rhoads and King Vs.
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

As a piece of art, arch tops. For playing, flat tops. They just feel more comfortable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post

I personally don't like arch tops. I also predominantly play Rhoads and King Vs.
              An archtop Rhoads looks cool, though!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

OH....MY....GOD.....

I never knew such a thing existed. Ok, that's a cool arch top. Not changing my vote, but GOD DAMN!
                "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Here's more info on it. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/517...-makes-it-home!

Comment

I think I'm in love!
                    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Actually, the archtop construction in itself provides an addition in tone. The maple of a 3/4' arched top will feature much more brightness than a flat 1/8' flat top. It allows more combinations in woods and tone.

Comment

Who says an arched top will always be maple? My Les Paul Studio is all mahogany, including the top.

Comment

My point was that it allows more wood combination so more tonal possibilites.
                          As for the mahogany tops, I don't really know but would be interresting to see how it alters tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post

Ahhh I see... Its a poll then. I vote both!
                            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Flat tops and bolt-on necks for me, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X