Neck through or bolt on neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck through or bolt on neck?

Alright before I ask you, you need to now that i've never owned a jackson guitar, but I've fucking fall in love with them.In about 2 years from now I will be saving money to buy some gear so I will come to making a decision about buying a Jackson.Now I have always had this question:which jackson guitars play better 1)neck through construction or 2)bolt on neck?:think:? You might want to know that I play heavy metal-rock n roll and I am concerned for both solo playing and rythm guitar playing.Thanks for your time....

Not this question again...

The answer is: which do you prefer?
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Obviously many uber-stud players have preferences for both styles of construction.

Just try some of the necks to see what you like in terms of access for soloing. I love the soloist and king V necks, as many do, they are insane for upper fret solo access, but others like the bolt-ons just as well. You just got to pick a couple up and test drive them.

The guitars don't play better one way or the other, it has more to do with who is playing them.
      Jackson KV2
      Jackson KE1T
      Jackson KE1F
      Jackson SL1

Comment

Neck thru sustains longer.

Comment

Is it my turn? Ok I'll play...
          Bolt on!

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
            The guitars don't play better one way or the other, it has more to do with who is playing them.
            This!

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
              The answer is: which do you prefer?
              What he said.

Comment

In general, I think it just comes down to what feels right for you. End of story really. Through necks can be really slinky on the upper fret access with 24 frets, but there are no sound, tone or sustain issues or magic formula etc. exclusive to any design. It really just comes down to what you prefer for pickup combinations, comfort and playability and what that enables you to pull out of the fretboard.

I would go try some guitars and see what you think, if you really need good 24 fret access maybe you might prefer a neck through, but the Dinkys offer good 24 fret access also and they are bolt on.

If its your first Jackson, I would be more concerned about what you were used to (Ibanez, Fenders, Gibson background etc) and getting used to the feel of the superior 12-16" compound radius fretboard, unless you are buying a DST-3 or something (Which is 12" straight radius up the board).

Even within the bounds of the Jackson/Charvel family which have generally all have standard fretboard radii, nut and heel widths, there are differences in neck thicknesses, contours and finish, a Charvel USA pro mod, which almost feels more like a good comfy Fender is a completely different animal in feel to a Jackson necked guitar for example which will feel a hell of a lot broader and fatter, some maybe even leaning towards an Ibanez or classical feel. Even an Ebony japanese pro mod neck will feel loads broader than a USA maple pro mod. Its very subtle and only really noticable when you play them. Its also the reason why you must own ten of them at the very least.

Anyway, last time I checked, the guitar police stated that if you are playing late '70's/early '80's Heavy Metal Rock n'roll, then you are only allowed 22 frets on a bolt on strat type guitar, or a 10 string thru neck BC Rich Bich or a Gibson Explorer or black Les Paul. If you are playing mid '80s heavy metal then you must have 24 frets and a floating floyd and graphic up until 1987, at which time you must forgo them all for a Gibson Les Paul. However if you are playing 1991 style onwards when you must stop playing and having fun all together until you eventually kill yourself in 1994 and pop takes over and suddenly its 2012 and the '80's are nostalgic.

The thing about a good guitar is it won't make you play better, of course it might be immediately easier to shred on etc., but the key to it is that because a good guitar will be so much easier to play and sound better, you'll soon notice your faults, sharpen up your technique as a consequence and then play better because of it. The worst thing is when you put up your old beloved dog of a favorite guitar and it feels like a piece of shit in comparison. That is truely depressing but also the sign of a truely great guitar!
                Last edited by ginsambo; 02-10-2012, 10:11 AM.
                You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Search function not working again?

I play both and each are different but one is not better than the other.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I don't notice a diff in sustain that couldn't be explained away by the pickups and setup, but I find my DK2 is 'snappier' sounding then my KV2. Not brighter, but snappier. i really like whatever makes it sound that way... prolly something to do with the bolt on maple neck.

Or I had shit in my ears that morning.

Comment

I always prefer neck-thru over bolt on. Easier to play the higher frets.

Comment

Neck through. Not only for fret access, but also the sense of workmanship.

Comment

I like the neck through the best. Nothing wrong with a bolt on. I have both.

Comment

Originally posted by kosmosrl View Post
                            I always prefer neck-thru over bolt on. Easier to play the higher frets.
                            My KV3 bolt on has better upper fret acces then my Warlock neckthru
                            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I have both, they feel a little different is all. Some will say painted necks can be a PITA, they get 'gummy/grimey.' I have no issues, but I do like the feel of an oiled neck, and the heel contour of a neck through. Try both if you can.
                              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                              X