guitar work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar work!

how much should it cost to put two emgs 81 and 85 in a js30? how long should it take?

Re: guitar work!

It'll probably run $50-75 and take a few days. Why, I don't know. Installing EMG's doesn't take much time (less than an hour, easy) or effort. About the most difficult thing is figuring a way to stuff the battery in the compartment without it rattling around. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

FYI -
      A cheap and easy way to ensure that the battery doesn't rattle around is to take the foam that the EMGs are wrapped in in their box and use it to wrap the battery up and fill up the dead space in the cavity.

Comment

I wrap mine in electrical tape and then tape them to the underside of the control cavity plate. Works great for me.

Comment

You can also buy battery clips to mount to the side of the control cavity from Radio Shack pretty cheap.

Comment

My local store said it would be about $30 for the installation (pickups extra [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). Depending on the current workload that the tech has about 2 days or so.
            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

so i wont have to cut anything? what about the wirring it isnt that hard?

tia

Comment

It's not to hard. I think if you try it, you might beable to do it. EMG's come with very precise instructions. Good luck, man! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You'll have to unsolder the pickups that are in there, then solder the EMG leads where they were. If you've never soldered before, take it to a tech.

jimosity: See, the difficult part is in a small cavity like the one my EMG's are in you have a really limited space to fit a battery. There's maybe two ways I could shove a battery in there (no clips possible) and I have to be careful on the foam so I don't make it where I can't close the damn cover. Man, that compartment's ugly... I need to get a picture of it next time I change the battery. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hamner1: Cool. A lot of places I've seen quote that much per pickup. Still don't see why it would take two days.

Comment

The shop goes by first in-first out, because if they'd let a pickup change cut in line so to speak, they'd be delaying the guys who come in for more substantial
                    and profitable work. They want your guitar in hand for the commitment factor.
                    If they just made an appointment for you to bring it in, then they have downtime and lost $ if you don't show. Same story at any type of repair shop, really. You have to bring the item in and sign a work order, then you're in line.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

No offense, take it to the shop. $30 is cheap considering if you never wired a guitar before you will probably have to bring it there anyway to have them trouble shoot and fix it. Ask for the old parts and experiment taking it all apart resoldering it all back together. Then next time you will have the chops to go in and work on your guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
                        You'll have to unsolder the pickups that are in there, then solder the EMG leads where they were. If you've never soldered before, take it to a tech.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not exactly. EMG's come with their own 25k pots that you have to wire in, and a stereo output jack. The only electronics that he would possibly keep would be the selector switch.

Comment

'ask for the old parts' - see this is what gets me; Do some shops keep the old pickups and stuff they take out unless you specifically ask for them? If so, there's your labor cost - barter. You installed them in exchange for my old hardware [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Not at the guitar shop where I go to... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

you always get back everything, even the old screws from the strap pins when you let them install security locks on your guitar (for free, btw!).
                            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
                            X