what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do?

Scenario: you have badass guitar that is, hands down, the best sounding/playing/looking guitar ya got. Do you: A) order another JUST like it, hoping to duplicate the awesomeness that is the existing one, OR B) run with something similar but tweak it to make it different enough to offer up some variety and originality?
    I ordered a 2nd CS Star but am digging my original Rising Sun Star so much that I debate whether I should have just ordered an exact duplicate w/ a different graphic.

I would say, play the shit out of it and save your money? But since you ordered a second already maybe, make it a 7 string?

Comment

Tough call. If you already have other guitars that cover different tunings or have different pickup/pickup configs, then I would have no problem with a duplicate with a different graphic. If you only have a few guitars in the stable, then I would add a little variety with the specs but don't stray too far from what you already like.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
        I would say, play the shit out of it and save your money? But since you ordered a second already maybe, make it a 7 string?
        Really don't play much, if anything requiring 7 strings. Plus, I can't play 7 strings for shit.

Comment

Just keep buying them until it doesn't make sense to buy any more. Then buy more.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
            Tough call. If you already have other guitars that cover different tunings or have different pickup/pickup configs, then I would have no problem with a duplicate with a different graphic. If you only have a few guitars in the stable, then I would add a little variety with the specs but don't stray too far from what you already like.
            The one on order will have passive pups, neck thru & maple board. So yeah, it's diff from my CS w/bolty neck, active Blackouts & dark rosewood board. Body wood, trem and controls are the same, as is no. of frets and head stock shape.

Comment

My only motivation for a 2nd guitar was that if a string broke I could grab the second guitar and not hold up a band practice or worse, a show. I didn't want to have to adjust from one guitar to the other, whether it be my playing or adjusting for sound. So, I have two guitars that are the same other than basically color.

Comment

If, you got your number one already, I say keep to the same playability but try some variety. Who knows, the one on order may become your new number one.

Comment

You can't improve on perfection. If absolutely everything is perfect on it, hands down, if your house was on fire, (God forbid of course) you'd save that one guitar instead of your collection of celebrity sex tapes, BUT you want to order another one with a different graphic, I'd get a CS identical to the previous guitar.

... Buuuuuuut... If there are a few things you think would be better, (ie. medium frets instead of jumbo frets, different fretboard, etc), I'd try out a few guitars that have said "improvements" and see if you could/would want them on your next CS.

Personally, I wouldn't gamble with a CS, since it'd be a lot of time and money to get it, just to find that you made a wrong decision. However that's just my 2 Canadian pennies.

Comment

If that guitar is 'The One' then I would duplicate the neck but tweak everything else(body shape, hardwares, etc..)

Comment

Guitars are like snowflakes - no two will ever be the same. Even if the two guitars were made at the same time, from the same slabs of wood, and by the same luthier, they won't sound, play or feel the same.

Order something different for some variety and be happy as hell that you were lucky enough to have found the "one" once in your life. Lightning rarely strikes the same place twice.

Comment

+1000 Plus if your ideal sounding and playing guitar is your star & its a bolt on, why order a neckthru, did you at least order it with an oiled neck. are you looking for variety or are you trying to match what you have only different. Personally i have a few guitars that just out play overything else i own, but tone wise they all have a certain niche tho only a few just sound great at everything.

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                        Guitars are like snowflakes - no two will ever be the same. Even if the two guitars were made at the same time, from the same slabs of wood, and by the same luthier, they won't sound, play or feel the same.

Order something different for some variety and be happy as hell that you were lucky enough to have found the "one" once in your life. Lightning rarely strikes the same place twice.

Comment

I think you will find the neckthough sufficiently different from the boltie. I also think you will realize that neckthrough is better than bolt on and then you'll want a neckthrough rising sun.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                            +1000 Plus if your ideal sounding and playing guitar is your star & its a bolt on, why order a neckthru, did you at least order it with an oiled neck. are you looking for variety or are you trying to match what you have only different. Personally i have a few guitars that just out play overything else i own, but tone wise they all have a certain niche tho only a few just sound great at everything.
                            I agree with Hellbat's perspective- I prefer neck thru's for the access to the upper frets but did not have that option when I did the 1st CS Star. Can't say as I'm dead set against bolties as several bolties in my harem just flat out rock. The Rising Sun Star was actually a lucky gamble. Charvel wouldn't do a neck thru at that time so I went with the bolt on. The neck thru, maple board and pups on the Jackson ordered was intended to get a little tonal variety but hopefully will maintain the playability and aesthetic of the Charvel. And no- I love the satin finish on the Rising Sun's neck so, ordered the same for the Jackson CS Star.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                              Scenario: you have badass guitar that is, hands down, the best sounding/playing/looking guitar ya got. Do you: A) order another JUST like it, hoping to duplicate the awesomeness that is the existing one, OR B) run with something similar but tweak it to make it different enough to offer up some variety and originality?
                              I ordered a 2nd CS Star but am digging my original Rising Sun Star so much that I debate whether I should have just ordered an exact duplicate w/ a different graphic.

I've only done this twice and the 2nd guitar that is the same model, make and year never plays or sounds as good. If you have a keeper in your hands, enjoy it and throw your money at something way different.

Comment

Working...
                              X